John Hampden - please help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Don'tpanic

John Hampden - please help

Post by Don'tpanic »

DS didn't get first choice school but we have been allocated JHS.

When we looked round the school as Plan B we thought it seemed a very nice school.

This morning I was just very grateful to have got a GS even if it wan't 1st choice. But I have taken a close look now at the GCSE results and to be honest they do not seem great! 1 child out of 150 got A* in English - that doesn't seem right for a GS. When did the 'distance from school' criterion kick in?

I'm now thinking maybe we should be looking at other options eg indepndent schools but I had so wanted DS to go to a GS.

So this is a plea to anyone who's out there who has got past GCSE's at JH - is the school better than it's results seem? Can it cater for very bright boys?

I don't want to offend anyone but DS got 141 at 11 plus and I'm worried JH won't stretch him.

Please help.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

As a GS teacher I initially judge Y7s by KS2 levels and scores in those tests - they are a better predictor of high achievers than the VRQ score.

Don't judge on one year's results either -

You may well get your first choice later on - accept JHGS provisionally and stay on the waiting list.
Don'tpanic

Post by Don'tpanic »

Unfortunately i think we probably stand zero chance with 1st choice looking at allocations.

But it's a fair point about looking at lots of results...does anyone know where I can get historical results for JH?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Don'tpanic

JHG is a very good school overall by reputation, and I suggest that you try looking at some of the league tables via the BBC, Times, Telegraph, and also the latest OFSTED reports to evaluate it further.

Unfortunately I don't have time to post links right now, but if anyone could manage that charitable feat, it would be wonderful.

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Your wish, S-A, is my command!

School website:

www.johnhampdengrammar.bucks.sch.uk

OfSTED report:

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk

then select Secondary then south east then Buckinghamshire (sorry the full link doesn't work)

League tables:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/le ... efault.stm

Why don't you ask to go round during the school day?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Thank you G55 - you are now offically my "Allocations Elf" 2009! :lol:

If you eould like to make an acceptance speech it must be no longer than an Oscar speech. :wink:

S-A
Don'tpanic

Post by Don'tpanic »

Thank-you for these. Sally-Anne do you know by chance which was the last year to be accepted on highest VR score - I'm sure the change to distnace from school would have benefitted a school like JH
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's a long time ago now - my child is in Year 10 and allocation was on distance that year ....
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Don'tpanic wrote:Thank-you for these. Sally-Anne do you know by chance which was the last year to be accepted on highest VR score - I'm sure the change to distnace from school would have benefitted a school like JH
It was 2004, the year my eldest DD did it.
Marylou
Don'tpanic

Post by Don'tpanic »

Thanks Marylou...so am I right in thinking that the first year to be admitted on distance from school haven't sat their GCSE's yet?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now