Bond vs NFER

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Desperate Dan

Bond vs NFER

Post by Desperate Dan »

Hi Patricia, Sally-Anne and all,

I have been very interested to read your comments about the various publishers of 11+ practice material on some of the other threads.

We are in Kent and DD will be sitting the 11+ in September which is multi-choice VR, NVR and Maths set by NFER. She has completed all the NFER papers at least once and has also been using the CDs from this site.

I understood from everything I had read that the Bond papers were a very good substitute for the NFER tests set in Kent so we moved onto these. DD seemed to find them of a similar standard/format etc but her tutor (experienced and reputable) has said that she thinks they are illogical, likely to confuse a child and does not want DD to use them for non-verbal practice. She did not make any comments about the Bond VR papers but I see from earlier posts on this thread that these might not be recommended for Kent either!

I subsequently bought some AFN non-verbal papers which I am yet to get the tutor's reaction to but would be very interested in your comments on the Bond papers please.

We have been using NFER, Bond and IPS for Maths as I have assumed that the maths questions set do not fall into specific type categories and that any practice is good. I would be grateful for any opinions on this too!

Sorry to ramble a bit but at this stage I would really like to be clear where DD should be focusing her energy!

Many thanks.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Desparate Dan

Unfortunately I cannot help on the NVR/maths front. Try posting in the Kent section.

With regard to VR, do you know whether Kent follows the 15 or 21 types? If its 21 types, the following Bucks thread will be of interest.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4782

If 21 types. Bond use 50 types in standard form. [different techniques for Multiple Choice] Of those 50 types only 17 are relevant, 4 are missing, 33 are of no relevance.

Good Luck

Patricia
Desperate Dan

Post by Desperate Dan »

Thanks Patricia. Kent uses 15 types in multiple choice format for VR which presumably makes most of the Bond paper irrelevant? I'm glad I asked and will try the Kent section for advice on NVR and maths as you suggest.