Tiffin Girls waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

twickenhammum

Tiffin Girls waiting list

Post by twickenhammum »

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and - how useful and helpful the input has been. My DD is on the Tiffin Girls waiting list (i have trawled through previous messages) and was wondering if anyone knows that if 21 offers were made eg last year - is that to the first 21 people on the list or can people pull out of the list and offers be made to someone as low as number 30? Need to give DD some good news if at all possible. Very pleased with her but she wilbe disappointed.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Hi, last year was unsual in that due to some apparent computer malfunction (?) an additional number of girls were offered after initial allocations, these girls were not necessarily the next on the waiting list but were those whose papers appeared to have been underscored as a result of the problem. As a result of this Tiffin Girls had to go over PAN (or at least they had in the early part of the summer, not sure what happened in the end). There were also of course some girls allocated from the waiting list as other girls turned their offers down. I don't want to deflate any hopes you have and think you are right to try to put a postive spin on it. However, in the interests of managing expectations, the girls list has traditionally moved much slower and much less than the boys. The letter you get from Tiffin usually indicates how far down the list they have gone in previous years and what the cut off score was. I cannot remember the detail but seem to remember when we got ours last year is was more like 6-12 having been offered off the waiting list in previous years. Sorry not to be more encouraging, this year may be different...
mad?
keendad

tiffin waiting lists

Post by keendad »

The tiffin waiting lists moves quite a bit on post historic data. My daughter scored 231 and got a place from the waiting list.We waited until end of April before we got the offer ,she is in year 9 now. The girls cutoff point always seems to be higher than the boys.

Last three years first offers cut off points

Tiffin girls 233-234 and waiting list place down to 230
Tiffin boys 225-226 and waiting ist places down to 221

Please note these scores are aggregate scores of VR an NVR scores added. I hope this helps and wish you all the best.
twickenhammum

Post by twickenhammum »

Hi Mad?

Thanks for that. I am probably not even going to mention "waiting list" to DD. It's just that the letter from Kingston said that the initial offers made after the first 120 offers were: 2008 - 21; 2007 - 19; 2006- 45. I just don't really understand how it works... the council were being a bit evasive? I was just wondering whether people eg with independent school offers and who have paid deposits actually pull out of the Tiffin waiting list. Realistically, 30 on waiting list at the girls school is a tad low.
geling

Post by geling »

Hello. twickenhammum: welcome to the forum! This wonderful site help me went through the most difficult time when my boy was on the waiting list of Tiffin boy last year.

In my personal opinion, there won't be many people pulling out of the waiting list of Tiffin girls this year giving the current economic situation into account . However, at this early stage we could hope for the best. Puls: if there is more than one girl who achieves the scorce at which the next offer is made, the place will be offered to the girl who lives nearest to the school and this rule is very different from the Tiffin boys. I hope you the best. Regards
twickenhammum

Post by twickenhammum »

Thank you Keendad. DD got 229 and is approx middle in her group of 10 who got that score. It really is tight and I really feel for the kids... 100 minutes and most kids get with in a few marks of each other! Fingers crossed.
twickenhammum

Post by twickenhammum »

Hello Geling, you are right, i suspect with the credit crunch people will not pull out. Also with the CAF system, people do not hold muliple offers as in past years so the numbers accepted from the waiting list is getting smaller. I have heard that some children just don't turn up on the first day - amazing.
mad?

Post by mad? »

galling isn't it - when it really come down to one or two questions...I have to say I agree with geling but there is always hope...perhaps the indies will offer more scholarships this year... :shock: good luck
mad?
mad?

Post by mad? »

twickenhammum I have sent you a pm
mad?
keendad

Post by keendad »

TO Twickenham mum.
I know the feeling you’re going through at this moment as I have experienced it in the past. Do not lose hope; there will be movements always. The CAF was introduced in 2006, which is the year my daughter started at Tiffin. I think there was a movement of 45 places. 229 is a very good score understanding the competition involved. It all hinges on this year cut-off.

I will be going on this roller coaster journey again with my younger daughter who will be taking the test in Dec 2010.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now