No joy but proud as punch!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

daisy

No joy but proud as punch!!

Post by daisy »

Congratulations everyone! :lol: :D :lol: :D

No super news for us though! The pass mark was 325 and the waiting list mark was 317, and J got 308 ... so he didn't get a place but I am very, very, very proud of him for trying so hard :lol: :D :lol:

The real blow comes in that he didn't get a place at the local Catholic school either (which is a small, lovely school where I went, my brother, dad, aunts, uncles etc... !!) and the high school is really not the right school for him, what with his quirks and difficulties left from the brain tumour and surgery, but that's where he's been allocated!

Time to get the thinking cap on again!!

Best wishes to everyone

XX
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

So sorry you didn't get the results you were hoping for - you sounds like a lovely supportive parent so I am sure his future will be a good one :wink:
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Daisy have you considered applying for a bursary at an independent school? Sounds like it might be the answer for your DS. Just a thought anyway, there are quite a few bursary places around these days. Don't know where you live, but Rugby School has a lot, for example.
Good luck anyway.
Loopy
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Re Rugby School - the deadline was in January and places have already been allocated.
On the other hand, that would not stop me from 'phoning them on the off chance - after all, who knows how many may decline a place in favour of a grammar/ alternative school? I concur that they are amazingly generous with their bursaries - for which I shall always be truly grateful!
daisy

Post by daisy »

Hi :D

I hadn't considered applying for a bursary at an independent school, but I shall certainly look into it! Thank you!
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

It's definitely worth a go daisy.
Like Ed's mum I think on the whole you've probably missed the boat for 2009, but you might just be lucky. Don't be too disappointed if you get nowhere though (which frankly I think is quite possible especially if you're not thinking of boarding), many private schools have their main intake at age 13, not 11, so if you're not successful now you've got another two years to plan.
Another problem, fairly unique to the Birmingham and London areas, is that many private schools award bursaries based on academic merit and given the competition in those cities you might find even J's high score is not enough. But choose your school carefully, because they're not all like that. For example if you're Catholics and have failed to get a place at the local Catholic school then even some of the leading Catholic schools in the country - such as Stonyhurst - will place far more emphasis on that than on being outstanding in academic ability. But again I think Birmingham's short of Catholic independent schools, so you might want to look at boarding instead.
Anyway if you really want this you'll need to do some homework. You might do worse than start by asking some questions on the Independent Schools part of this forum...
Good Luck :D
Loopy
daisy

Post by daisy »

Thank you guys!

I've had a look around and all the independent schools seem quite far away from us so it's something I shall look into for when he is 13 I think!

The bus service is absolutely shocking where we are too which doesn't help :roll:

We aren't actually Catholic , I just went to the local Catholic school where my cousins and Dad, and my aunts and uncles went - they're all Catholic! It's a very good school and some of my old teachers are still there, including the head!

We'll try and appeal for that school and if he doesn't end up getting in and has to go the local 'bin' then 13 gives me a few years to try and pluck up the courage to take my driving test in case the bus service is still as bad!!! :shock: :? :shock: :lol:
PapaM

Post by PapaM »

Hope it works out for u and ur son daisy.....

I totally understand how u feel! We're in the same position...tried for a couple of independants - but nothing....and are somewhere in waiting for the local grammar...all his mates - prob the whole year have already got something! To say my stomach feels as if it's been churned out and thrown away is an understatement!!!

We're trying for late entries at other local independants!!! Apparently, the feedback from those is that as a lot more parents than usual have applied for bursaries, and the schools can't provide them, there is some possibility of available places...I don't know if that applies to u....I'm in the Hertfordshire/Barnet belt....

I've been told it all works out eventually...hope it does for all of us!!!! I'm just regretting putting the innocent 10/11 yr old thru all this....There has to be a way of doing it differently....on the one hand, these schools are supposed to nurture the children, but then, the way they reject...way too heartless!....At the end of the day tho', even they admit it's a business....Oh well, that's my ranting over for the next hour or so! Been also told to keep chin up, so yes, might as well do that too!!

Best of luck to you and all those in this predicament!
PapaM
daisy

Post by daisy »

PapaM

So sorry you are in the same position of waiting and worrying and thinking, and worrying, and did I mention worrying?!! :? :D

I'm sure it will all work out for us all in the end, one way or another... and these things are sent to try us!

Yeah keep that chin up :) 8)

Hope everything works out, keep me posted! :D

XX
PapaM

Re: No joy but proud as punch!!

Post by PapaM »

daisy wrote:Congratulations everyone! :lol: :D :lol: :D

------------------

No super news for us though! The pass mark was 325 and the waiting list mark was 317, and J got 308 ... so he didn't get a place but I am very, very, very proud of him for trying so hard :lol: :D :lol:

XX
daisy,
thanks for your post...
yes, worrying indeed! and then worrying after that as well!#

whilst we don't have the dilemma you've had before as well (he's a very brave and clever boy! Well done to him! ), i'm also v proud of DS for the hard work he did, regardless...
PapaM
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now