CSSE CONFIRM NEW PAPERS FOR LATE TAKERS.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Concerned parent

CSSE CONFIRM NEW PAPERS FOR LATE TAKERS.

Post by Concerned parent »

The kind lady at the csse has just confirmed that the late takers (including my son) will be taking different papers for the 11+ test in a couple of weeks, she then went on to say that the papers would be weighted in the same way and be of the same format. needed this clarified as some of the comments on here (everyone has their own opinions i know) were missleading and this has worried my son and i, plus many other late takers. Best wishes to all the late takers sitting the 11+ soon.

Re: CSSE CONFIRM NEW PAPERS FOR LATE TAKERS.

Post by Guest »

Concerned parent wrote:The kind lady at the csse has just confirmed that the late takers (including my son) will be taking different papers for the 11+ test in a couple of weeks, she then went on to say that the papers would be weighted in the same way and be of the same format. needed this clarified as some of the comments on here (everyone has their own opinions i know) were missleading and this has worried my son and i, plus many other late takers. Best wishes to all the late takers sitting the 11+ soon.
Just to be clear, they will be weighted using the same method not the same numbers. i.e. if the late sitters get a an extract from Janet and John and get 100%, you wouldn't expect the result to have the same weighting as the English paper from last Saturday. Be careful, don't think because your child avoided Saturdays paper they've got a better chance, they haven't, they've got exactly the same chance that they would have had, had they sat on Saturday.

Best of luck.
Concerned mum

Post by Concerned mum »

Yes Guest that is what i said! I don not think that my son has a better chance of getting better marks because he wont be taking the same papers, the csse told me that they will be different papers but with the same difficulties, which is what i put in my first comment. For those that sat the test on saturday all did the best they could in the circumstances, and my son and all the other late takers will be doing the same with their just as DIFFICULT papers, so you can rest in the knowledge that my son and the others will not have it easier than the original kids on saturday!!

Post by Guest »

Do you really think they are going to find a piece that everyone will deem to be exactly the same as Saturday's piece in terms of difficulty? Of course they're not. I think your still missing the point or maybe I am. If the average score on Saturday's English was 70% and the avergae score on the paper sat by the late sitters is 80%, then a child obtaining 75% last Saturday is going to have a higher weighted (normalised) score than a child scoring 75% in the late sitters paper.

Raw scores will count for nothing in an appeal, it's your normailised score that is important.

By the way, in the nicest possible way, capitalising words in messages is bad netiquette, it comes across as SHOUTING!!!.
remlap

Post by remlap »

Just a quick question re this "degree of difficulty" for english papers..

How can that be decided?...as you say last Saturday's piece was difficult but whose to say which piece compares ?..what criteria do they use?
Karen

Post by Karen »

The exam setters have their work cut out to find something 'as difficult' without using the same book if you ask me. In fact, don't ask me.
Good luck to all those yet to take their test.
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Where has all the love gone? Everyone seems to be stressing ( i know it is stressful but its done and dusted now for most of them so nothing can be changed!) Im sure the csse are having a very difficult time at the moment trying to sort out the papers for the late takers, i wouldn't want to be in their shoes right now. Just over 13 weeks till offer day, that will fly by. Also good luck to the late takers for next week
Karen

Post by Karen »

Joanne wrote:Where has all the love gone? Everyone seems to be stressing ( i know it is stressful but its done and dusted now for most of them so nothing can be changed!) Im sure the csse are having a very difficult time at the moment trying to sort out the papers for the late takers, i wouldn't want to be in their shoes right now. Just over 13 weeks till offer day, that will fly by. Also good luck to the late takers for next week
Joanne,
Thank you, once again for your wise words and encouragement. We are obviously still in the early stages of Post-11+ Stress Disorder. It will heal, eventually. Hopefully when we get the results.
Regards
Karen
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Hi Karen,
my mum always said i should have been around in the early sixties...make love not war! Just dont like seeing people get cross with eachother, though like i say we are all a little stressed, imagine how we will be feeling on 1st March!!

Joanne
Karen

Post by Karen »

Morning Joanne!

I wrote somewhere else on this forum that I think we all have Post-11+ Stress Disorder (and before long it will be a recognised medical condition!). It is early days since the test and we have all had a shock with the English paper, so it takes a bit of getting used to. Thankfully, it's forums like this that help us parents to get things off our chests without affecting the children. I'd much rather have a moaning/wingeing workout on here than give him even more things to worry about (though he, unlike me, seems to have put it all behind him and is immersed in PSP again). Before long the effects should wear off (just keep taking the tablets). In the meantime, I appreciate your down-to-earth comments and I think a lot of people take great comfort from knowing there are others out there in 11+ land just like them!

Have a great day! :lol:
Regards
Karen
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now