Schools in Hemel Hempstead

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

greenteadrinker

Schools in Hemel Hempstead

Post by greenteadrinker »

I have received a list which informs me of vacancies of community schools in Herts.

I am currently considering some schools in Hemel although I live in Watford.

Somebody has told me that children from Watford get a hard time in Hemel schools (dont know why!!) i was wondering if anyone had any experience of this or knew anything to either support or rubbish this claim.

I am keeping an open mind about schools and going to view them this week and next but would appreciate a viewpoint or two please.
Always look on the bright side of life
Willowmum

Post by Willowmum »

Hello greenteadrinker I have lived in Hemel for ten years and can confirm that children fron Watford are not treaded badly because they come from Watford. I have seen the list of schools that are available. Please let me know which ones you are considering and can let you know my opinion.
greenteadrinker

Thank you Willowmum that would be helpful. Coming from Watford means that i hadnt considered Hemel schools but now of course i am!

The three I am contemplating visiting are Adeyfield, Longdean and Astley Cooper. I would appreciate any views you have.
Willowmum

Post by Willowmum »

Hi, The only school I would go for is Longdean which I hear is very good now. Adeyfield and Astley Cooper are the worst schools you could go for. I knew a mum whose children went there for a short time not through choice but the children are very disruptive and throw furniture around. There was talk of closing it but not sure why it is still running. Adeyfield is not doing that well.

Have you thought of Ashlyns in Berkhamstead my friends daughters go there and I think they have spaces.

Good luck you must be going through ****. This happened to me whey applying for primary schools.
toony

Post by toony »

The Ashlyn's Head has just left rather suddenly - Head of Kings Langley is standing in for a while - so the school is not very settled at the moment.

I, too have heard good things about Longdean and the newish Head there.
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

Im sure there was a post here on schools to consider A/L K/L area and the poster stated how happy she was with Longdean.

it was not so long ago.
watmum

Post by watmum »

Yes, I remember that post, I think it was from "Abmum"??
greenteadrinker

Thank you for your very informative replies. I will chase up Longdean (I did leave a message earlier but they are yet to call me back!).
zee

Post by zee »

I'd echo comments above. Longdean is a good school, but don't touch Adeyfield or Astley Cooper with a bargepole. Home ed, private, anything but those.
Abmum

Hemel Schools

Post by Abmum »

As a parent from Abbots Langley I did not consider schools in Hemel until I had to! I had heard about Longdean School and after comparing their GCSE results with the school that we had been allocated, it was an easy decision to accept a place. It is not out of the area too much as from Abbots Langley it is literally a trip down Bedmond Rd with no traffic issues so possibly quicker than some schools to get to. Unfortunately because it is not in the Watford area it does not get any "press" like other schools and people seem to think of Hemel as too far out. My son is VERY happy there and has not had any form of intimidation or bullying because he is not from Hemel. Longdeans recent exam results places them over 20% ahead of Kings Langley and Marlborough in the Hertfordshire listing but the "successful school" tag that these schools enjoy is yet to be given to Longdean and I honestly don't know what they have to do to get it!!
I would happily recommend this school as an excellent alternative!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now