Should we appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
huntlie

Should we appeal?

Post by huntlie »

My gd got 320 on the Nonsuch test -'pass' mark 326. She is very able - all level 5 last year, predicted 5as this year, in top set (of 5)for everything, reading age 3 years over actual age. Her school head says she is definitely GS material, class teacher says she is best in class at English (2 others in class got in) and is very well motivated. However, she is not a good examinee, gets terrible nerves, has asthma etc.

My son says we should not appeal because it is so stressful, and that to have any chance of success she ought to at least be on the waiting list, which she is not.

Does anyone have any advice? I am trying desperately not to push them into something they don't want to do, but on the other had she is so clever and so quick with understanding. I am also trying hard not to be too influenced by the fact that I will be paying half her fees if she goes to the GDST school!

Any help most gratefully received - what a nightmare it all is.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I think your difficulty here Huntlie will be appealing against non-qualification AND over-subcription.

I'm no expert but twice the hurdle, possibly twice the difficulty?

I wish you luck in the appeal, if they decide to go ahead with it - it's not a nice place to be in.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Commiserations Huntlie. Your family are lucky to have a grandmother who is willing to contribute to such a high level of fees. Whatever you all decide, I hope it works out for the best.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear huntlie

The Waiting List is an entirely separate process. An appeal panel shouldn't know anything about where someone is on a Waiting List.

Is asthma relevant to the test result or choice of school?

Will the headteacher confirm that she is not a good examinee and gets terrible nerves? It will carry so much more weight than if it's just a parent saying this!
Etienne
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Dear Huntlie,
Sorry to hear about your disappointment on behalf of your granddaughter. Here in Kent things may be slightly different, however :-

Waiting lists- In Kent I'm sure a child can only be added to the waiting list for a selective school if they 'have been deemed suitable for selective education'. Therefore a child who has not passed the 11+ cannot go on the waiting list.

Appeal- appeals in Kent for all levels of schools take place between April and July. Last year DD2 (has special needs) got allocated local horror school but we succesfully appealed for 1st choice all-girls school. I did all the paperwork, telephone calls and bucket loads of worrying when she was at school or in bed. She didn't even know we had appealed on her behalf until the appeal outcome letter arrived!
Perhaps your son could try this low-key approach and not worry his daughter at all. If he doesn't appeal though he'll never know and may always wonder at the outcome.

Stress- I would say most, if not all, children find the 11+ stressful but some obviously cope more effectively than others. DD1 is in Year 9 at local Grammar and she is tested in all subjects every 3 months. If your granddaughter is not a good examinee (what a wonderful word!) then perhaps a Grammar environment of constant pressure might not be conducive to the best learning environment for her?

Whatever decision is made, your granddaughter is lucky too have a supportive Gran. My Mum has never been interested in her grandchildren, can't be bothered to remember the birthdays of my three and doesn't even know what schools they go to!
geling

Post by geling »

Dear huntlie:

This is "geling" (always in Surrey section) to show my great sympathy to you here ! It is no doubt that everyone would be as stressed as you if were in the same situation. I hope this unpleasant period will pass quickly. I fully believe your granddaughter will thrive in her future school whatever God chooses for her. Good luck!

Best wishes

Geling
capers123

Re: Should we appeal?

Post by capers123 »

huntlie wrote:My son says we should not appeal because it is so stressful, and that to have any chance of success she ought to at least be on the waiting list, which she is not.
You have to reach the pass mark to be on the waiting list. But there is no reason the appeal should be stressful to the child - many parents don't tell them that they're appealing - others do tell them (partly because the children sk the parents to appeal).
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now