What worked for us

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MittenKitty

What worked for us

Post by MittenKitty »

Many people on this site were kind enough to post comments when I asked for information about various West London schools so I thought a quick update might be appropriate

In brief I have a daughter at a small private school who seemed quite bright but nothing exceptional - typically 3rd or 4th in a class of 12 - with good music and drama skills - and dyslexia

We were always keen on her going to Latymer Upper as we live near and its an excellent school but had concerns about her dyslexia holding her back and whether she'd make the grade - seem to be around 900 - 100 trying for 140 places. So we added a range of other schools - Notting Hill and Ealing, Queens Gate, St James, Harrodian and Arts Ed

It was hard to choose initially and one or two we became less keen on as time went on but she was happy to try for a range

We kept it all fairly light at home - she had a tutor once a week in term time to help with English for her dyslexia for the last term of year 5 and first term of year 6. We also did 6 sessions with a maths tutor in year 6. And we did practice papers in year 6 weekends and the Christmas hols. Main point of those was getting used to doing it in time and understanding techniques like leaving a question if you dont know it and coming back at the end and reading the qus properly. At the beginnig she got around 50% and at the end was generally in the 70s or 80s

So we did some preparation but we didnt start very early and didnt make a big deal of it. I always told her there were other schools if these didnt work out and just be herself at interviews - a very keen on their school version of herself that manages to fit in a bit of chat about her clarinet, plays or swimming - but still herself

She ended up with offers from 5 of them, and high on the waiting list at Notting Hill. The process - for her - was a good lesson on doing a bit of work towards something gives you good results and she is super excited about heading off to Latymer in September

Sorry for the longish post but I wanted to share our experience in case it helps.

Reading this site has been immensely supportive - I avidly read most sections - whether relevant to me or not - quite familiar with Etienne's advice on appeals for some unknown reason - and of course love Tipsy - and knowing all those parents are out there with similar concerns and hopes and dreams is very reassuring. It is fantastic help and a very big thankyou to those that make it happen and to all the posters who make it what it is - you have made a stressful time much easier to survive

MK
mad?

Post by mad? »

MK

Congratulations to you and DD and thank you for such a useful and informative post. I'm, sure that next year others will be calmed by your story. I too have become obsessed by Etienne's postings and I should warn you...am still here one year on - tragic really but then I've got to do it all again with DD2 this year so I never really left!
mad?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi MittenKitty (great name!),

Your daughter has done exceptionally well and must be really bright given the relatively small amount of tutoring and her dyslexia. I have many friends who have applied to the same schools and they have been coaching for 2 hours each night for over 2 years! :shock: There are some lovely members on here whose kids are at or are going to Latymer so you may cross paths without even realising it. My friend's kids are in the prep school and they have nothing but praise for the school.

I have not been in need of Etienne's help (yet) but I have huge admiration for the effort she puts in on the appeal section and her tireless support. As for me being lovely :? , well maybe sometimes - when I'm being good! :lol:

Tips x
FirstTimeBuyer

results

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

MittenKitty
This the sort of post which is very helpful, especially if others do so. It gives a sense of perspective as well as encouragement.

However I would ask those for whom things didn't work out so swimmingly to post as well. You only have to look at some of the county threads today to see sometimes Cinderella stays at home to set the fire. We need the warts 'n' all view.
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
Thea

Post by Thea »

:shock: @ 2 hrs per night :shock: over 2 yrs :shock:
well doe mitten kitten :D
Best Regards,
Thea
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

and that was an underestimate Thea! :shock:
mad?

Post by mad? »

Perhaps the lesson from this is that the school is right for your child they don't need 2 hours per night for two years (or even 2 hours a week...), and if they do, IMHO it is the wrong school for them.
mad?
T-4-2

Post by T-4-2 »

mad? wrote:Perhaps the lesson from this is that the school is right for your child they don't need 2 hours per night for two years (or even 2 hours a week...), and if they do, IMHO it is the wrong school for them.
I'd have to agree with you mad? My daughter didn't have any tutoring at all, other than going through a few practice tests with me. I know lots of parents who had tutors specifically for the 11+, some were successful, some weren't. What worries me is the kids who were in the middle or bottom streams at my daugther's school who were tutored, passed the 11+ (just about) and I suspect will now struggle to keep up at grammar for the next 7 years unless they continue to be tutored.

As I said, my daughter didn't have any tutoring, she passed her 11+, scoring 419, but if she hadn't then I would have known that she couldn't have managed at grammar.
hopeful 4

Post by hopeful 4 »

I personally think that it is depends what school you are going for and also how many different types ie state selective and private.
You might have to do nvr,vr, English and Maths.
You might be applying to a school where you need to score 90% for each paper.
Maybe two hours is too much though!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

This family still tutors eventhough they got in! Enough said! :roll: