Do NFER still set the 11+ papers?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Headache

Do NFER still set the 11+ papers?

Post by Headache »

Just about to buy some new practice papers for my son, do NFEF still set the papers? :D
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Hello again Headache. Yes, again as far as I am aware there has been no change. :)
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Now different packaging. GL Assessment/Letts
Headache

Post by Headache »

Thanks for the info, better get organised and buy some (the old one my daughter used are a bit messy!!). :D
MJMoore

Post by MJMoore »

I bought my daughter some books yesterday, and one of them was Bond.. is that going to be much different to NFEF? dadofkent, are you saying that Letts are a better choice?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I sometimes use Bond for Maths and NVR. The VR is not really relevant.

Use the Nfer assessment ones for getting your child familiar with the format and make sure you use multiple choice rather than standard format.

Have a look on teh interactive CDs bit of teh site. The Tutors VR downloads are suitable for Kent. Kent usually does teh first 15 types but have been known to slip the odd different type too. The free Methos and Techniques for Verbal Reasoning (go to home page and look under free downloads) is excellent as is Patricias compound word list and ideas for games

Also loads of practice on multiplcation tables, square and prime numbers and quick addition and subtraction. A good vocabulary is important too
MJMoore

Post by MJMoore »

Thank you, much appreciated. :) Her maths is pretty good, but her vocabulary is concerning me.. we have some hard work ahead of us, I think.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

have you tried playing games like scrabble and upwords, allowing her to use a dictionary to check if a word is OK? You learn loads of good words flipping through in search of a way to use your letters.

also try www.freerice.com. Fun, good for vocab and you "win" rice for third world.

Make sure you cover all the maths for Kent test as it won;t all be covered by the time she takes test. algebra especially
MJMoore

Post by MJMoore »

She asked for her own dictionary yesterday, so I will be encouraging it's use! :) Scrabble is a good idea though, especially as it's something her dad likes playing.

As for maths, yes I'm starting to realise the school hasn't covered everything she needs.. we're going to start looking through the papers to find the areas she doesn't understand. Algebra is good to know, thank you again.