Can we appeal against a prominent Herts independant School?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PapaM

Can we appeal against a prominent Herts independant School?

Post by PapaM »

I want to appeal against a prominent independent in Hertfordshire. Somebody told me Appeals only apply to state schools, particularly grammars schools, but I seriously believe the school has made an error (I know we all do!) and I wont rest until I try to resolve their error....

Anyone with any thoughts/recommendations etc.....

Many many thanks in anticipation (I hope I can sleep tonight!)
PapaM
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear PapaM

The statutory appeals process applies to state schools only. Although the majority of questions on this forum are about grammar school appeals, I would have thought that nationally the majority of appeals relate to state primary schools and comprehensives.

According to the Independent Schools Council all schools must now have a published complaints procedure. Whether this would explicitly cover admissions I'm not sure, but, as far as I'm aware, your concerns would have to be resolved through the school's own procedures, involving the head in the first instance and then, failing a satisfactory resolution, the governing body of the school.
Etienne
PapaM

Post by PapaM »

Etienne,

So sorry for not ackowledging your reply...I must have missed this one...

As it happens, someone else told me about the ISC as well, and I contacted them and they said the same thing...

I am just about to PM you with details...apologies in advance for assuming you're ok with that...and many thanks in advance also with any suggestions u may have
PapaM
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry, PapaM, but we can't usually give advice by PM, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Please read Sally-Anne's Announcement at the top of the page:
APPEALS 2008/2009 - PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST
Etienne
PapaM

Post by PapaM »

Sorry.... :oops:

Wish I'd read it properly...but thot the rules didn't apply cos it's an independant.

OK, how about this? Tomorrow. if i post something here, in a more general fashion, then would that be acceptable? And is it ok that u refer to the PM for names of the schools i'm referring to?

I can understand if above is not ok ....

apologies agian, and thanks again too.. :)
PapaM
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear PapaM

Please go ahead, and it's possible some of our independent school posters might have a view.

My own experience has been strictly limited to statutory appeals.
Etienne
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

PapaM,

You have nothing to lose if you call them up and ask them if you can see his test results because you are so shocked that he did not pass. If he is at an independent currently then the Head normally queries an unusual outcome and often negotiates with the school to allow the child entry. If you do nothing then DC will never go to that school and if you annoy them then you're not losing a place.
PapaM

Post by PapaM »

Etienne,
Thanks - I will post later today...am ringing all the other schools in the world at the moment...

Tipsy
Thanks for the sugggestion, but been there, done that...i'll explain in the post i'll make later....
PapaM
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now