Should we appeal?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Elizabeth

Should we appeal?

Post by Elizabeth »

Having kept an eye on this excellent forum over the last six months I'm sure that someone out there will have some good advice.

Like USA we are also abroad and received my son's results yesterday. Unfortunately they were not what he had hoped for: 112 and 115. He is desparate to return to the UK for his secondary education and we had chosen RGS for its boarding facilities and because friends had successfully sent their boys there. He is also very keen to get involved in more sports - something that is sadly missing where we live.

The question is: should we appeal and with the results that he has would he have a chance?

He is currently at a private school that follows the National Curriculum. His teacher, who is new to the school from an 11+ area in the UK last year, was surprised that he did not make the grade. She is sure that he will get good level 5s this year - he had level 5 in Maths at the end of year 5. He has also come top in all science tests this year - commendable considering that he is nearly a year younger than most children in his class - (they have a different age entry to schools). Our Head was also surprised and has been very supportive of our application as she feels that he is the 'right sort of child' for an academic, sports orientated school. :lol:

As his parents we are convinced that he really is grammar school material. Are the fact that he is out of the country and had to sit the exams alone in the Head's office worth mentioning. His father was also away on business whilst he was doing the exams.

I feel very 'out of the loop' over here so any advice would be great. :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Elizabeth

I have no idea what the appeals process is from overseas - I'm not sure that it has ever come up on this forum. My guess is that you simply submit the same paperwork as locals, but don't attend the panel hearing.

I think Etienne will agree with me that on 112 and 115 you are probably going to struggle to win an appeal, but if you have the advantage of not having to face the panel, why not have a go anyway? Put together your best case and post it off. I don't think the disadvantages you describe are necessarily mitigating circumstances, so put together the best case you have on academic grounds.

In the meantime, take a look at this thread (and the one that started it off, link is on the first post).

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=764

As you will see, RGS is a Foundation School which means that if they have spare places after the 11+ process (as happened this year) they can allocate them by means of their own entrance exam, albeit in the last week or so of August.

The size of the cohort this year is very similar to last year, so it is entirely possible that a similar number of last-minute vacancies will arise. How you take advantage of that, especially from overseas, is anyone's guess, but I would think that if you appeal and fail, a nice letter to the Registrar at RGS perhaps?

Nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

Sally-Anne
usa

Post by usa »

Halloooooooo!!!!!
Welcome!!!!!
Why don't you register (see bottom of the page) and we can have a real good chat off line about a few things.
As to your post..............where abouts are you in the world?
And.....................how did you get your result..............?!!!!!!!!!!
I am sorry that you didnt get the result hoped for, it is definately worth talking to the school.
Please do write back - I am sure we can help.
USA
usa

Post by usa »

Dear Elizabeth
I do hope you are still following this Forum - if you do decide to go ahead and appeal, you will find lots of good information on here. I certainly do think it is a good idea to appeal, but as you have this 1 school in mind - you will need to speak to them, too. How long have you been away - do you have any KS1 results? We do not have the luxury of the Nat Curr over here so I prepared my child, myself, with books bought from this Forum........did you also go through familiarisation papers?
PLease do write back - we would all love to help.
Sorry to hear about the lack of sport.............over here it is seen as more important than school........... :shock: !!
USA
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Elizabeth

I agree with Sally-Anne's comments.

I have posted a reply for you on the appeals page:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=35

There are some particular difficulties when appealing from abroad.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now