Chesham High

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pam66

Chesham High

Post by pam66 »

My son has been offered Chesham High. We live out of county, but do not mind moving to Chesham in order for DS to attend.

Can someone provide more insights into the school. We had applied because it looked like a rapidly improving school, and one where there was good chance of getting a place.

We also have offers from two private schools, but are hoping that we do not have to go the fee paying route. Having said that, want to get some feedback on school's performance, outlook, comparison with other schools, and also a view on co-ed. grammar schools.

Thanks
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Pam

Unless you want to move, you don't have to - there are children from quite long distances away at CHS.

The Head has been there 18 months (he was the Deputy at another Bucks GS before that) and has been making huge changes.

If you look on the school website you will see the latest OFSTED report, on which the ink is barely dry.

Sally-Anne
pam66

Post by pam66 »

Many Thanks Sally-Anne.

I have read the OFSTED report and it looks promising, but the school still remains undersubscribed, and the overall evaluation remains below most other grammar schools in the area. Does anyone have a first hand experience of the changes the new head teacher has been making, and how they feel about the school going forward.

Thanks
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Pam

I have sent you a PM.

Sally-Anne
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Hi Pam,

You have to bear in mind that until a few years ago (4, I think, Sally-Anne can confirm), the two Challoner’s schools set their own pass-mark in the 11+ and hence there was a certain cachet to attending them as opposed to Chesham High. Now that is no longer the case, the playing field is more level, but that change won’t have shown up much yet in terms of public exam results.

You could always ask to have a look round Chesham on a school day, we did this and they were very accommodating (which certain other GS were not).

I know a lot of parents with children in Years 7 and 8 and have never heard one of them say a bad word about the school. The only complaints I have heard from the children themselves are that the head is ‘too strict’, particularly with regard to uniforms. I’ll leave you to decide whether that would be a problem for you :D

As for the undersubscription, I wouldn’t let put you off. Sadly, DD didn’t get in, but all three of us loved the school.
pam66

Post by pam66 »

Thanks for the PM, Sally-Anne and to others for the feedback.

I feel more positive now, and agree that the best thing is to visit the school to get a first-hand feel.

Any further feedback about the school will be welcome.

Thanks,
esmerelda

Post by esmerelda »

Pam, I have sent you a PM. (I think!)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now