Application Form/Poss Bursary

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
alfie2

Application Form/Poss Bursary

Post by alfie2 »

After a couple of visits and an experience day for year five children, we have decided to fill in an application form for senior school to a local independent to start Sept 2010.

However, we know that we would really struggle to pay the full fees so would be relying heavily on a good scholarship or bursary.

Can I ask anybody who has gone through this in the last year - at what point did they apply for the bursary itself and also at what point did they make it clear to the school in question that this was a route being considered.

We would like to register our interest soon but also want to know what experience others have had with regard to bursaries and/or scholarships.

Thanks
Alfie
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

You register with your chosen school and they send out application forms much later in the year.

When you fill in the application forms there is a section to apply for bursaries and another for scholarships - it's at this point you let it be known you want to be considered.

They will then send you another form for bursaries in which they go into details of your finances.

Don't worry about whether or not you're on a low enough income - fill it in anyway, you may be surprised and you definitely won't be penalised for asking.

If you don't ask - you don't get!
moved

Post by moved »

At our initial interview with the head I stated that my daughter would need their maximum scholarship/big bursary. The head had already met and chatted in French to my bilingual daughter at the open day and shown a distinct interest in her. I thought that it was better to ask at this stage rather than pretend we could afford something we couldn't.

My daughter sat the entrance exam, went back for scholarship and talents, was awarded a 20% scholarship and then we filled out the bursary forms.

She is going to grammar anyway as she was lucky enough to get a good one.

The independent school have said how much they will miss her, which is lovely.

We decided that the grammar was better as I didn't fancy filling out bursary forms or worrying about losing a bursary for the next 7 years or sending her off to board.

However, a friend in your county who tried for a school was offered a 20% art scholarship, but they have used up their bursary funding on existing pupils, even though it was implied that this would be available. She doesn't have a grammar and now doesn't have enough money for the independent.
alfie2

Post by alfie2 »

moving wrote: However, a friend in your county who tried for a school was offered a 20% art scholarship, but they have used up their bursary funding on existing pupils, even though it was implied that this would be available. She doesn't have a grammar and now doesn't have enough money for the independent.
Moving - thanks for that. Well done to your daughter.

The school we are looking at only advertises that it offers 10% scholarships for various subjects, art, drama, music, etc. But it does mention bursaries in its paperwork - but perhaps that is only to satisfy needs of the Charity Commission.

I know of a child who has been offered a place to start Sept 2009 who has been offered a scholarship of 10% but also asked to forgo this to enable the school to offer more bursaries! Needless to say they are taking up the 10% reduction and not offering it back!

I also know that this particular school has in the past offered 100% or 50% scholarships to 2 other children I know of - but just not sure in the current economic climate.
Alfie
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Alfie,

Usually the 10% scholarships can be supplemented up to 100% with bursaries.

I'm in two minds about scholarships. If they are going to be as small as 10% then I think they should scrap them and if you are very wealthy I think it would be good to forego a 10% scholarship to help a needy child. In saying that I do think children should be rewarded for hard work and talent and if DS got a 10% scholarship, and if I could aford to, I would want to put that money into a bank account that they could have when they went to uni. But if I were in need of a large bursary and a very rich family refused to give up their 10% then I would feel that was stingy as it could preclude a child from joining the school. :?
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Loopy,

I am actually pro a large reduction for a scholarship (50%), hence my interest in Westminster as Queen's Scholars are given 50% because it is a condition that they board. But if you're a multi millionaire and DS is awarded an academic scholarship I'd like to think they'd give it back to the school. Middle income families really struggle and get no help. I have friends on large bursaries who own their own home and have not had to make any sacrifices for there DC's education. I don't grudge them this opportunity but I think the system shouldn't be as black and white.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Woo, we crossed in the ether!!
Loopy
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

:wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now