Twins appeal - LG

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hkgill

Twins appeal - LG

Post by hkgill »

Its time for me to decide...please help...
My 1st DS has gone through in the first round for LG and 2nd is on WL with a score of 111 and we now he wont get in unless we appeal. We cant bear to see them apart and so do they. We are thinking of appealing. DS2 is predicted level 5s in SATs and scored 124 in CATS in October 08. However, we are appealing completely on the basis of twin sibling factor.
Do we need to stress on about his academic acheivements?
Do we need to look for researches on performance/emotional effects of separating twins?
We live literally 1 minute away form the GS DS2 has been offered, will this affect their decision?
What other info should we include? :(
chad

Post by chad »

Yes... you do need to stress his academic ability.....what you are saying to the appeals panel is that 111 was not indicative of his ability and his score on the day was below what you would expect. If ytou can show that the twins were both of an equal academic standard then that would help your case.
Etienne

Re: Twins appeal - LG

Post by Etienne »

hkgill wrote:Do we need to stress on about his academic acheivements?
As a higher score could have made a difference in gaining a place, yes.
Do we need to look for researches on performance/emotional effects of separating twins?
At the very least you need to come up with some convincing reasons why the twins need to be at the same school.

How would you deal with the question: "Wouldn't it be a good idea at this stage for them to attend different schools so that they can develop independently?" (I'm just playing devil's advocate! :))

(edited)
Etienne
solimum

Twins

Post by solimum »

There is a story about another case of twins being separated in the Times today...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 860830.ece

I guess with the proximity thing you would have to decide if you would rather both boys went to the second choice (closer) school than one at each, if that option were to be offered instead....
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry - I misread the earlier bit about proximity, so have edited out my previous comment.

No, in my view the panel should not really be influenced by the proximity of DS2's school. If the panel were to inquire "Wouldn't it be more convenient for you to have both children at DS2's allocated school?" you respond by giving all your reasons for preferring LG.
Etienne
hkgill

Post by hkgill »

thank you for your thoughts...please keep them flowing.
AnxiousMum