Tiffin Boys waiting list 2009

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nayna P

Post by Nayna P »

Hi All,

I'll take the plunge and start this thread. Many thanks to 'geling' for the 2008 thread it has been very informative.
My ds is 38th on the waiting list. I don't think there is much hope in this situation since 13 boys have to refuse a place at Tiffins before they can even start on the waiting list.
But I do hope that this thread can help those that are higher up the list.

Best of luck
geling

Post by geling »

Hi, Nanya P
Thanks for starting this thread! I wanted to do one this year even though I have no DS to worry about this year (Thank goodness!). I am sure this one will be as informative as last year's if more parents join us in the coming weeks.

So, your DS is 38th on the waiting list. Would you mind telling us his score? Note: Tiffin School's passing mark 2009 is 226

Good luck to your DS!
minniem

Post by minniem »

Hello
I am new to this site and very interested in this thread.
My son has been placed on the waiting list too. My main concern is that in the letter I received from Tiffin it said[quote]
"the names of children who have sat the test and who have been offered a higher preference school have been removed from the list. Parents of these children can request that their childs name is added to the ranked score list"
Where would they be placed??? I dont mean to be thick but if a child scored highly in the test , had chosen another school over Tiffin and now have changed their minds the parents are hardly going to want them put at the bottom of the list when clearly they would have secured a place first time around had they put Tiffin first preference.
I hope to ring the school next week to clarify matters and give me piece of mind!!
I would love to hear someones else view on this matter.
minniem[/quote]
stanley

Post by stanley »

This is the same at Tiffin girls. They will be put at the top of the list if their score was the same or more than the cut off mark.
In reality someone who was originally 1st on the waiting list could become 20th if 19 boys ask to be added. Depressing I know!
isamum

Post by isamum »

I was looking into our letters form girls schools tonight and it looks like schools are allowing kids with high scores to come back should they change they mind.
minniem

Post by minniem »

Depressing isnt the word its outrageously unfair!!!

I see from my notes from Kingston Council Tiffin Boys has their own admissions authority unlike say Tiffin Girls which is a community school.
Surely this unfair system alone would be grounds for an appeal but how would you know if your child has moved down the list after being sent an official ranked score position?
It could also in effect change the admission cut off score, if boys change their mind for whatever reason would have been admitted first time around say with a fantastic 265+ score then this then makes the final cut off score even higher. Am I making any sense here??
I know we will not know anything until after 16th March at the earliest but when you could be so close to getting into the school of your first choice, these scenarios do run around in your mind- well mine anyway I am unfortunately one of lifes greatest worriers, I'll be on medication next.......
stanley

Post by stanley »

If you phone up the school they will tell you where you have moved to on the waiting list.
Thea

Post by Thea »

So this means that parents can effectively have two bites of the cherry, and the best strategy would seem to be that even if Tiffin is your first choice, you can put another school where you have a good chance of getting in first, as insurance, and then if your child gets a high ranking score just transfer them to the Tiffin waiting list and stand a good chance of getting in. Much better than honestly putting Tiffin first and being offered a much less desirable school if your child does not get a Tiffin place.. Parents applying next year should check this very carefully as it could make a significant difference to your options!
Best Regards,
Thea
minniem

Post by minniem »

Thea my sentiments exactly!!
I am just concerned on safe guarding my sons position on the waiting list. I can accept there is a cut off mark and if he didnt make that I would just have to accept it BUT.. to have another child jump infront of him using his second choice of school say after changing his mind that is too much to bear and should NOT be allowed.
Its bad enough being governed by rules all our lives, abide by them and then local authorities and schools can move the goal post when it suits.
piers3

Post by piers3 »

I am truly disgusted by this practice. When I attend the open day at Tiffin I asked one of the Senior Mangement Team about this, I was told that any boy with a higher preference school was removed from the waiting list. Perhaps I should have listen to exactly what was said, a bit like Macbeth and the witches:

Macbeth
And be these juggling fiends no more believed,
That palter with us in a double sense;
That keep the word of promise to our ear,
And break it to our hope.
Although I am not personally affected by this I am writing to the Schools Adjudicator asking them to investigate this practise by Tiffin and other Grammars schools that adminster their waiting list this way. It will be too late for this year I fear, but we need to get this stopped.

We cannot have situation where some parents will deny a place to another child because they have changed their minds
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now