school support

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

confusedmum bucks

school support

Post by confusedmum bucks »

Have had meeting with school today, I have sent Ettiene a pm with details hoping she can give me her opinion. The school are happy to support our appeal, but I wouldn't say they were doing us any favours, they will predict level 5 sats, that they expected him to attain 121-131, and that they do feel he would be suitable for a Grammar schoool, I asked if they would state that they strongly support our appeal but have to wait to see if they will do that. I asked if I could approach my son's class teacher for a statement of support but I was told no, also they didn't seem very keen when I asked to be able to take copies of his school books to the appeal.
I get the paperwork tomorrow , any suggestions as to what supportign evidence to send in, apart from last years school report I'm not sure.
bw
confused mum bucks
confusedmum bucks

Post by confusedmum bucks »

also meant to add they have given him a 2 for educatonanal ability and a 2 for attitude and ranked him 6 out of 30?, not sure if this will help or not?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi confused mum

I think that sounds perhaps more positive than negative. A 2:2 isn't a bad ranking at all, and if they really have ranked him 6 out of 30, that is excellent. What do your appeal papers show happened to the kids above and the 5 kids below him? If they all passed, then the Head's assessment was pretty accurate, and something went wrong for your son.

I would ask quite firmly why you can't approach the class teacher? Maybe it's just too much like extra work? And as for not wanting you to take his school books in - ******!!! I think you should certainly insist on that, and point out that it will be considered very suspicious if you don't. How much experience of appeals does the Head have? They should know the sort of thing that is needed for an appeal.

I wouldn't send in a copy of the whole report - just copies of the 5 main subjects as an appendix, but have the report available on the day for them to see the rest (provided it is positive, of course!)

Don't despair - I sense that the Head may not know your son particularly well, and is waiting to talk to the class teacher in more detail before committing him/herself. (It wouldn't be the first time that has happened: "Oh yes, of course we'll support little Peter's appeal - now just remind me who he is?")

I think you may need to push a bit harder for their reasons on the issues that have come up.

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear confused mum

Your PM hasn't come through, but I can reply by saying that I agree with Sally-Anne's advice above.

Best wishes
Etienne
worried

Post by worried »

Hi confused mum,

I am sorry that you had to go through this. The whole support bit sounds horrible. I was just thinking that could you not take the year 5 books? I know that my son brought his school books back at the end of the year and I have still got them. I don't think they gave all of his books but I have a few. I do normally make a point of asking for his books back at the end of the year. I never thought that it will be helpfull, but may be it will be enough as a proof (if they don't let you take the recent books).

I also have another question. Will it sound unreasonable to ask the head for his reason behind the ranking (6th in your case, but I read 10th somewhere else)? I personally do think that sometimes teachers/head do this just because they like/respect some children's parents more than other parents. I may be wrong. This is how I have felt. In the last parent meeting we were told (by his stuck up teacher) that they don't feel that my son has a right attitude for a grammer school. She said this when he was the top in all subjects ( already 5a in all three subjects and down to earth attitude) and never been in trouble and always had sparkling reports. I believed that she just had a personal clash with us. I am so glad that he has got a good score and now I don't care what she thinks. I really don't think she would have supported him.

Good luck to all worried parents. My thoughts are with you all.
Louise

Headteacher rankings

Post by Louise »

Dear Confused Mum,

I posted under Bucks headteacher rankings but very briefly rankings are different this year (go to pdf document Etienne recommends on Bucks County Council site) and 2 2 is counted as strong support. A '1' is now only for children expected to get 131 - 141 but previously could be given to any child expected to qualify. Should imagine if the Heads are doing their jobs properly that a lot of chilfren will be a 2.

Hope that helps.
confused mum bucks

Post by confused mum bucks »

thanks Loise, that makes me feel a bit more positive! Really appreciate all teh helpful advice at tehis horrible time :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now