Standarisation and points deducted for age

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
resmum

Standarisation and points deducted for age

Post by resmum »

From what I understand of the standarisation process I believe that the number of points added/subtracted for age depends on the performance of the cohort in for each month. Generally though, older children will have points deducted and younger children will have points added.

Is it impossible (or usually impossible) therefore for a child who is older than 10 years and 6 months to obtain the maximum 141 score?

Also, is it possible to obtain the raw scores from BCC ?

Resmum
Jed

Post by Jed »

It isn't really the case that older children have marks 'deducted' in the standardization proccess. This is a common misconception.

A perfect 'raw' score (i.e. in the case of Bucks 80/80) would result in a standardization mark of 141 whatever the age of the child. After that for each 'raw' mark dropped the standardization mark would go down according to the age of a child and the cohort. For example, a raw score of 78/80 might still be 141 for a child born in August, but 140 for March and 139 for September; 75/80 might be 139 for August, 137 for March and 134 for September, and so on. (These are just examples.)

Hope this makes it clearer.

Jed
dltracy

Raw Scores.

Post by dltracy »

Yes, you can get the raw scores form BCC, but you will have to write in to eat them and also you have to pay a £10 fee.

I have just applied for them for my son as he was put back a year due to health problems and has been heavily penalised for this.

Hope this helps.

Post by Guest »

Apocryphallay though, almost all the children with max marks are young for the year and conversely, very few of the oldest children get top marks.
resmum

Standardisation

Post by resmum »

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm trying to guage how many questions my daughter may have got wrong as we still have 2 more sets of exams to go and she keeps telling me the ones she has done so far have been "easy".

resmum
Guest77

Post by Guest77 »

My daughter was 10 years 11 months, and actually turned 11 on the day of one of her papers, she acheived 141 in both her papers, prior to this I was also worried about her 'losing marks' as so to say.
mum

Post by mum »

Guest 77,

Well done to your daughter................

that means she got 100% score in all the subjects.............thats great.......
mum
ghada

again please

Post by ghada »

hi
please can u explain this score again for me

Trying to understand standardisation

Post by Guest »

I've read various pots on this forum and had a look at the example table on the website but I'm still confused. I have a November - born child and wonder if anyone can advise, as a guide, what 'raw score' we should be aiming for. We've just started doing practice papers and my child is keen to know whether he's 'passing' the paper or not. EG he did a paper yesterday and got 74/80.
Catherine

Re: Trying to understand standardisation

Post by Catherine »

Anonymous wrote:I've read various pots on this forum and had a look at the example table on the website but I'm still confused. I have a November - born child and wonder if anyone can advise, as a guide, what 'raw score' we should be aiming for. We've just started doing practice papers and my child is keen to know whether he's 'passing' the paper or not. EG he did a paper yesterday and got 74/80.
The word of mouth is that you need to aim for scores above 85% in Bucks, whatever the child date of birth. Younger children may need less but no one knows how much. It all depends on the cohort.

A score of 74/80 (92%) is very encouraging but test papers vary enormously in term of difficulty. If you told us what papers your son has been working on, we could give you more feedback on how promising his score is.

Best of luck

Catherine
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now