Waiting Lists do they change much

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kracken

Waiting Lists do they change much

Post by kracken »

Unfortunately my son missed Ilford County by 2 points and is on the waiting list.

We been told by Redbridge to wait until the 23rd of March for an update.

My question is does the waiting list move much?

I am only holding a glimmer of hope but 2 points seems really near sometimes and not so near at other times if you understand our feelings.
poi

Post by poi »

The CSSE office provided the following information. The last position offered on Offers Day was for the 123rd ranked boy who scored 340-ish. Helpful to some on the waiting lists??!!
Taye

I know the feeling!

Post by Taye »

My daughter also sat the Woodford County high tests and missed out by ONE point!!! Thanks for the info regarding the waiting list. I still dont understand how they can give out the waiting list on 23rd March though. I didnt think they could give out that info before the late candidates (ie. those who were verifiably ill on the test dates) sat their test. My daughter informs me that her friend will be sitting the late test in April. Unless her friend is mistaken. Do you know if they inform us each time our child moves up on the waiting list? I am not holding my breath at all, but I have read somewhere on this forum that a girl has moved up from 17th to 1st position...by year 9! :D :) :? :( .........
:lol:
Taye

and, sorry, to answer your question then...

Post by Taye »

If what they say on the letter is anything to go by, they move very little. Judging by last years figures, only five girls got in after April (10 boys). But was that before or after the late test re-shuffling? Bare in mind that there are still places available, to be filled by qualifying late candidates. So you can deduce that if the late candidates dont make it, waiting list candidates will be selected in rank order to fill the remaining places. So did they take another 5 off the list AFTER the final shuffling of the waiting list, OR are they including those numbers??? Hope I make sense?! :shock:
kracken

Post by kracken »

Do you know if they inform us each time our child moves up on the waiting list?
I think they only contact you with an offer. You have to keep contacting them for your current position.
I still dont understand how they can give out the waiting list on 23rd March though. I didnt think they could give out that info before the late candidates (ie. those who were verifiably ill on the test dates) sat their test.
The only way this can work is they hold back some places for the late testers. I think Ilford County hold back 7 places for this. So we are on the waiting list to be in the top 113 so to speak. Like you say there could be further movement or not in April depending on if all the reserved places go to the late testers, though surely they have to score higher than those already waiting?
but I have read somewhere on this forum that a girl has moved up from 17th to 1st position...by year 9!
We know someone who was offered Woodford County a fews days before starting the local comp!!!
waiting list candidates will be selected in rank order to fill the remaining places.
I understand that they don't go with Rank order at all but Standardised Score. Then tiebreak on distance, which suits us as we are fairly close.

Do you live close to Woodford County? If so with one point out I would suggest you have a good chance of getting in!
Taye

Post by Taye »

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to write.
We know someone who was offered Woodford County a fews days before starting the local comp!!!
Hmmm. Perhaps they had the qualifying score. Don't forget, some children didn't get in even though they achieved the qualifying mark of 225, because the cut off distance was 1.017 miles. That must be awful!

Anyway, maybe I'm being slightly dim here, but I thought that your rank order was based on both your standardised score and distance. Surely if it were based solely on standardised score, my daughter would be in joint 121st or 122nd position (right after the 225ers) and alongside x other pupils with the same mark (114th if you remove the apprx number of late candidates), but she isn't. She's further down on the list, so where did these 'extra candidates' come from? I think I'm going to give the borough a call tomorrow, as the whole thing is giving me brain ache! I'll keep you posted with any new information.

Where is your son going in September then? I had to turn down Forest on Friday, which was a bit of a downer. If only I could win the lottery! :wink: Anyway, my daughter has got a place at a good local comp, so I can't really complain. Incidentally, we haven't heard of anyone in my daughter's current school qualifying this year (boys or girls) so it must have been particularly tough. They normally get at least 2-4 children passing each year.

Did you send your son to the 'tuition centre'? (I'm sure you know the one I mean).
kracken

Post by kracken »

Hmmm. Perhaps they had the qualifying score. Don't forget, some children didn't get in even though they achieved the qualifying mark of 225, because the cut off distance was 1.017 miles. That must be awful!
It's a possibility we don't know the full facts :)

Having posted last night I re-read the letter and the Redbridge book and I believe I am incorrect on a couple of points!

I thought they held back places for the late testers (would make sense to me) but it appears they don't!! They must be relying on the 120 not taking all the places, perhaps this always happens! I guess as it's the council if they messed up in some way they could always increase the class sizes.
Anyway, maybe I'm being slightly dim here, but I thought that your rank order was based on both your standardised score and distance. Surely if it were based solely on standardised score, my daughter would be in joint 121st or 122nd position (right after the 225ers) and alongside x other pupils with the same mark.
This makes a lot of sense, perhaps I was reading the letter a little too strictly in that they go at great lengths to say the waiting list is standardised score and then a tiebreak for distance. I would have assumed that if that were already taken into account in the ranking then they would just say that. It could be that this is just poorly written and it equates to how you understand it of course and I am completely confused :)
Where is your son going in September then?
Good question, we have a Scholarship for Bancrofts but it still leaves a big dent in the finances, we are not rich by any standards.
I had to turn down Forest on Friday, which was a bit of a downer. If only I could win the lottery! Anyway, my daughter has got a place at a good local comp.
I am sorry to hear that. I am glad you do at least have a good local comp. We don't, hence our rather stressed state at the moment.
Did you send your son to the 'tuition centre'? (I'm sure you know the one I mean).
No, he had private tuition with a very good lady who does very well with getting kids through.
kracken

Post by kracken »

Update for Ilford County Redbridge

Phoned admissions today and a score of 228 is waiting list position 10.

Ilford hold back 5 places for late testers, though if 10 pass then 5 of these go on the waiting list and could push us back to 15 if they have higher scores. Though I guess there is always the chance that less than 5 pass therefore improving our waiting list position.

All this doesn't happen until 21st April and after marking the tests etc puts the time scale out until 2nd week of May.

It's going to be a long wait I fear.
Taye

Post by Taye »

Hi Kracken. That's great news for you! :D Last year, 10 boys moved up from the waiting list, so there's hope yet, although I don't blame you for not holding your breath. I haven't contacted the borough since our last conversation. To tell the truth, I'm feeling a bit nervous, because I'm happy with the offer my daughter currently has - which isn't to say I wouldn't be ecstatic if she did get offered a place at WCH. At the same time, I have a few horror stories about the school hovering around in my head. (There seem to be far more horror stories about the girls, than the boys (ilford) I must add.) Would I be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire by accepting any offer? :roll: If indeed we get one! Sorry to sound so fickle. But that's honestly how I feel right now. Hence why I've not yet mustered up the courage to contact them. I will call them on Monday to put my mind at rest.I'll let you know how it goes. May I ask what your son's position was in the test? My dd's was 132nd. I'm just trying to gauge how test ranking/position relates to waiting list positions.
kracken

Post by kracken »

To tell the truth, I'm feeling a bit nervous, because I'm happy with the offer my daughter currently has - which isn't to say I wouldn't be ecstatic if she did get offered a place at WCH.
I can understand that and I also understand you probably have it set in your mind about the school you have got.

DS rank was 144 on the letter, so I make it that we are now 125 (At this point in time) if 115 places have been allocated to date and 5 are reserved for late testers.

Hope you have good news today when you ring, will be checking back later tonight :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now