Is it to late

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
angel

Is it to late

Post by angel »

Unfortunately my son was unsuccessful in gaining a place at grammar school - 10 marks short of St Olaves and 8 marks short of Dartford (which is where he would have loved to have gone- all very disheartening). We are in the process of applying to Eltham college, St Dunstan's, Colfe's and Dulwich, we do not have a great deal of money and would struggle to pay full fee, does anyone know whether scholarship or burseries are available, whether these schools still have places, when they are likely to be testing again/open days. Can anyone help as I begining to feel down by all the stress and anxiety. Much Thanks
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Angel - very sorry to hear your news. I think you may be too late for admission to these schools in September 2009.

My middle son applied to Colfe's for entry in September 2008 as a back up plan in case he didn't get a GS place. Applications had to be made around November 2007, entrance exams were held in the January, offers were then made to be accepted about the same time as state offers came out (I remember ringing the school about this and they said we could have a day or two's grace if we were waiting to hear from our LA). He was offered a place, but not with a scholarship or bursary.

So offers for places at Colfes in September 2009 will have been made and accepted. However, there is no harm in ringing them up to double-check. Their telephone number is: 0208 852 2283.

When we went to the HT's talk before applying, he said although there might be one or two large scholarships (up to 50%); the majority were small - around 10/15/20% as that way he could help more families. They offer scholarships for academic, musical and sporting ability.

Last year the fees were £3,741 a term. They say in their brochure that they offer bursaries to pupils who have achieved a high standard of performance on the Entrance exam and whose parents' gross income is under £45k.

It is a lovely school - but we would have had to call in a few favours from grandparents to meet the fees!

I do hope you manage to find something you and your son are happy with.
2boydad

Post by 2boydad »

Never too late for Colfe's - usually undersubscribed in September - I would also try Eltham as they seem most amenable to bursary help. I would expect Dulwich to be full however.

I would fully expect Dartford's cut off to drop at least 8 points in the course of the next few months so make sure you're on the waiting list. Remember 50% of Dartford acceptances at this stage will be prep school boys who have no intention of going there - merely used it as back up on state school applications.
eloise

Post by eloise »

St Dunstan's College are currently advertising open days so they must have places available and I they do give out bursary places. It's a really great school by all accounts.
Dulwich College is full I think as I know of children on the waiting list but no harm in calling them. Good luck! :D
angel

Post by angel »

I have just got home from work, and was so happy to see all your responses, this site is such a source of comfort, not wishing to sound sickly, but it is. We have emailed Eltham, that would be our best option and fairly local, my finger are tightly crossed for a little miracle in relation to Dartford.
Northkentmum

Post by Northkentmum »

Hi angel, have sent you a PM
NKM
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now