Crib sheets??

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jules63

Crib sheets??

Post by jules63 »

Just looking at the NVR interactive (Volume 1) for the first time - is there a crib sheet to point me in the right direction for each 'type' I am sort of muddling through but my brain is starting to hurt deep inside in areas I don't use very often! :oops: Once I crack what to do it's like a 'Eureka' moment....but a little help would be good..also my son gets bored waiting for me to try and explain what he's looking for!
(p.s. I'm sooooo glad I'm not doing my 11+ now!)
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Hi Jules63,

Welcome to the forum :D

With NVR or VR, I would highly recommend getting a 'How to...' book. By following this it will show you how things work. A very good one is the two part set at the end of this page, on the following link, for NVR.

NVR Books

Once you have read these, hopefully it will all become a bit clearer.
Good Luck, and feel free to ask any further questions :D

BW
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I have used those and they really take youthrough step by step.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Can I just second that.

Definitely get a 'How To' book - it will all seem soooo easy once you do!
jules63

Thanks

Post by jules63 »

Thanks - I'm on my way to buy now! Also, I have been reading the other helpful hints/tips and I think this site is going to be very useful in preparing son for Reading test.......so thanks for all the previous posts.....funny - last years results are just out and next year's work starts!
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Having used the AE Tuition books 1 and 2 I would completely agree with that.

If you are just starting then my advise would be not to throw all the exercises straight at your child. Allow time to grasp the basics.

I would not recommend using the Bond or NFER papers any time soon. Start with the simple ones. There are plenty of free material available from this site as well as from another site (for obvious reasons I cannot mention that site name here).

When you come to use NFER papers please note that Paper A is probably the hardest of the four.

If you go through previous years posts on the NVR forum you may find logics explained to many tricky NVR questions.
LuluQueen

Post by LuluQueen »

Not of any relation, but Bewildered, you spelt jules63's name wrong.

LQ

(Sorry, always been a bit on the persnickety side :? )
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Edited previous :oops:
boltew

Post by boltew »

I have the Bond 'How to do... 11+ Non-verbal reasoning' book which we shall be starting on soon. Does this contain all the different types that I would need for a Tiffin exam? Should I get the 'AE publishing How to 'guides too?
Is there anyone there who has used both?
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

The latter is better, especially for Tiffins, who follow the NFER style papers.
I found the Bond 'How to..' books more cumbersome, but luckily came across the more user friendly AE books, from rec's on this site.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now