Feasibility

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Elbart

Feasibility

Post by Elbart »

Hi All,

Just wondering what the logistics are for transport from Sutton Coldfield to the following:

KECH
KEFW
KES
Handsworth
QE Walsall

It would be great to know if any children make this journey and how long it takes on average, be it by bus or train.

Thanks Elbart
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

About 3-4 decades ago :oops: - the Sutton Coldfield to KES / KEHS route was train to New Street then the 61/62/63 to school, later they opened the University train station and that makes the jorney from New Street much easier. Can't tell you exactly how long .... check nationalrail.co.uk, have done the walk through the University site from the station to school and it was fine - no mega roads and I think there would be lots of people doing it
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Elbart if you look on the Green Bus co. site you will see details of all the school routes they cover.. the KEGS and KES/KEHS I believe. I think the also cover QM . Sutton to Handsworth I believe would be via WM travel... a friend's daughter travels from Handsworth to Sutton girls' and gets the no. 11 to Perry Barr and then a 51? (not sure but you can check) which stops right outside the school. To KE Handsworth you'd probably have to get off the no11 and onto the no 16 which stops very near the school.

Hermanmunster is right about the train to KES/KEHS.. it's a very short walk from the uni station to the schools.

Hope this helps,
regards clarendon
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

For KECH, train to probably Kings Norton, then no.11 bus. It should be less than an hour I think.

As I discovered when I was doing the same thing as you last year:

Find either end of the journey on Google maps. Zoom in until you see tiny blue and white squares appear on the map - those are bus stops (if you zoom in further a little picture of a bus appears...).

Click on a bus stop close to where you want to be; a bubble will pop up showing the name of the bus stop on the top line, and underneath that a link to transportdirect.info. If you click on that link it will take you to a site that will plan you a bus/train journey from that bus stop with five different route options (obviously, you'll probably want to put in return journey details as well).

Some of the routes it suggests are a bit weird but at the very least it gives you an idea of how feasible a particular journey might be. (For KEFW it suggests train to Five Ways then no.22 bus through Harborne, but I would have thought it might be worth looking at staying on the train to Northfield and getting a bus from there.)

Mike
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Excellent....thank you all.
lottie

Post by lottie »

Hi

Just to let you know, that alot of Sutton Girls go to KE Handsworth girls on the green bus.

Lottie
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Thanks Lottie.
bagqueen

Post by bagqueen »

For KECH the Green Bus provide a good service from Sutton :D
layla

Post by layla »

Iv just found out there is no service of a green bus to sutton girls, :(
I was relying on sending her on this. Now I have to find a route from stechford/yardley to sutton. Can anyone give advice on traveling from stechford/yardley to sutton please,. much apprecaited
KenR

Post by KenR »

Train is the best bet

Stechford to B/Ham New St and change to the cross city line to Wylde Green Station - 9mins to New St and 15 min to Wylde Green then 5 mins walk. Very frequent services.

Depends how far you are from Stechford Station
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now