This can't be right!

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

This can't be right!

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I've just read an article online from The Times newspaper which states that only 16% of GS pupils get 3 straight A's at A'level compared to 28% at comps and 38% at indie's. I always thought, overall, that GS did better than any of the schools.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 871124.ece
SSM

Post by SSM »

It doesn't say that 16% of GS pupils get 3 straight A's. It says that of the children that get straight A's 16% are from GS.

So, as the vast majority of children go to comprehensives then this is very likely.

Does anyone know what the percentage of kids going to GS is.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

As only the brightest children stay on for 6th form it is perfectly reasonable for comprehensives to perform as well in A Levels as grammar schools.

In our local comprehensives which perform at best at the national average for GCSE so therefore much worse than the grammars, the sixth forms do much better - so to compare a school, I would always look at GCSE and ignore the A Level results.

LFH
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Phew, I was beginning to wonder what was going on!
andyb

Post by andyb »

According to the Daily Mail June 2008:-

"Grammar pupils make up 4.7 per cent of the school population ... "

Assuming a similar number of children attend independent schools then around 90% of A level candidates attend Comprehensive schools. If they didn't get the largest percentage of 3 A's at A level there really would be something wrong with the education system in this country :wink:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

It certainly all makes a much more dramatic story than if they'd headlined it "Education shock horror scandal!! Absolutely no change in proportion of students from different sectors gaining 3+ A grades since 2003!!!":

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 908w12.htm

"Assuming a similar number of children attend independent schools then around 90% of A level candidates attend Comprehensive schools."

As the above indicates, independent schools then accounted for ~13% of A-level candidates (although accounting for c.25% of sixth form students - what were indies doing instead of A levels in 2002?), grammars for about 7% and comps for 42%.

Back then, about 23% of indie and 19% of grammar students got 3 or more A grades, i imagine both percentages are higher now but probably in similar relation to each other since the other numbers have remained nearly constant.

Mike
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Also - the grammar schools in Warwickshire tend to have large sixth forms. Year 12 at my daughter's school has, I think, about twice the number of pupils as Year 11 so there must be a significant number of youngsters who may not have originally reached the 11+ standard who join then.

Mind you - they do still seem to get excellent A level results!
solimum

Post by solimum »

a significant number of youngsters who may not have originally reached the 11+ standard who join then.
Many of those who join grammars in Warwickshire/ Birmingham etc for sixth form will have happily been at 11-16 comps elsewhere (such as Solihull) and not have taken the 11 plus in the first place rather than being "not up to the standard". This should also be taken into account when looking at the "3 A's" group - my son's year group at his comp scattered to a variety of sixth form destinations including grammars & independents - the credit for his A grades (and those of his friends) does belong at least in part to their earlier schools as well.....
KB

Post by KB »

This sort of relates to this thread & Tipsy's other thread about how many A levels are taken at different schools.
Cambridge has made some offers this year based on 4 A levels - obviously it cant do this where students are only taking 3 A levels! but it rather begs the question as to whether 4 A levels is going to become a requirement of Cambridge over the next few years? Or will it provide different offers for those coming from the high performing schools where 4 A levels is the expectation against those coming from more average Comps?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

KB wrote:This sort of relates to this thread & Tipsy's other thread about how many A levels are taken at different schools.
Cambridge has made some offers this year based on 4 A levels - obviously it cant do this where students are only taking 3 A levels! but it rather begs the question as to whether 4 A levels is going to become a requirement of Cambridge over the next few years? Or will it provide different offers for those coming from the high performing schools where 4 A levels is the expectation against those coming from more average Comps?
Your second idea sounds fairer, but I would be uncomfortable with the idea that a very bright student who could get 4 good grades does not have to try as hard simply because they attend a school with lower expectations. This would also unfairly discriminate against those at higher achieving schools.

I know of one comprehensive which states quite openly in its prospectus that most sixth form students do 3 A-levels in Y13, as this is all that is needed by universities and employers... :? :roll: . It also takes students to open days at Cambridge, so presumably the university is indeed prepared to make allowances since most of the visitors will only be studying 3 A-levels? :?
Marylou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now