anyone on the waiting list for Sale Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Gatley

anyone on the waiting list for Sale Grammar

Post by Gatley »

Hi everyone,

My little one is on the waiting list for Sale, we fall into cat 3 so I suppose we have a long wait. Anyone have a child in a similar position?
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

I haven't, no, but good luck with your wait! Have you tried ringing the school/Trafford to find out where you are on the list?
Wilmslow mum

Post by Wilmslow mum »

Hi,
my son is now on the waiting list for Altrincham Grammar for boys. We are out of catchment and have passed the exam but unfortunately with to low a score to gain automatic admission. More painful waiting to see what happens next, anyone out there with any info' on how likely we are to succeed in obtaining a place from our position would be gratefully received.

Thanks.
Gatley

Post by Gatley »

Thanks TM, I'll give them a call.

WM, Forgive my ignorance but I didn't know that people from outside of the catchment areas could get automatic admission if their scores were high enough...I wonder if this applies to Sale.

Do you know what AA score was for Alty?

Good luck with the wait for an impatient person like me, it's like torture everyday !
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Gatley - Sale has a 2 tier admission criteria. It first takes kids from its priority catchment (postcodes M31, M33, WA14, WA15, part of WA13 and part of M23) and admits those kids by virtue of distance from the school. ie a child scoring 353 living in Sale would get in before a child scoring 423 living in Bowdon.

To the extent there are places left after catchment is disposed of it then admits kids outside catchment based on score. So a child scoring 423 in Preston, Lancs would get offered a place before someone scoring less than that living in, say, Gatley :wink:

Edited to add: I don't know what the cutoff score for Alty Boys is this year but for 2008 entry it was 348 for out of catchment boys. If anyone knows what the cutoff is this year please will they post it?
Zed 1

Post by Zed 1 »

Initially, the cut-off for Alty Boys was 350 this year (I've heard!) but won't this figure go lower, as some boys decline offers (maybe for independents).
Won't they then, have to go further down the list of 'out of catchment' boys?

Everyone in catchment that passed will have been offered a place (if they want it)...so I presume everyone on the waiting list is out of catchment. :?
ConcernedMum

Altrincham Boys Cutoff

Post by ConcernedMum »

Last year the initial cutoff was 347 and it didn't go any lower.
The previous year it went down to 337 (IIRC)
Wilmslow mum

Post by Wilmslow mum »

Thanks for the info' regarding the 350 needed for admission to Alty boys. That score gives us some hope as we have a score of 340. We have gone on to a waiting list and now just have to hope.

Last year the cut off point was 348 but the year before it was 337, so there is still a spark of hope! As said it depends on who accepts the offers.

Gatley- all the best for your situation, I can definitely empathise!
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Thanks for that, Zed 1.

I would be surprised if there wasn't some movement on the waiting list at Alty Boys because every year there are several boys from Alty Prep and Hale Prep (and others, I'm sure) who get a place there but choose instead to pay to go to MGS (or others).

Wilmslow Mum - If you hear how things are moving (and especially if Wilmslow Son gets a place) please post details - it will be helpful for future years. Good luck!
Wilmslow mum

Post by Wilmslow mum »

Thanks, Trafford mum, will keep you posted.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now