It's that time again!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nif229

It's that time again!

Post by nif229 »

I don't know if anyone remembers me from two years ago when our DD took her 11+, fortunately with a lot of hard work and effort she was selected for Grammar! I'm absolutely sure that if it hadn't have been for this forum, I would have gone completely mad! So here we go again! Our DS is due to take his 11+ in October and is so different to his sister. He is currently in Yr 5 and is bright but extremely lazy, we really believe that he will do very well at a Grammar School, so we've just introduced him to the joys of verbal reasoning (much to his disgust)! He has just brought his VRQ scores home from School where he got 113. I sat him down on Sunday and gave him his first paper at home, where, much to my surprise he got 77/80 with 5 mins to go. There IS hope!! Trouble is, with DS, is really depends on what mood he is in at the time. Any feedback from parents (particularly with boys) would be much appreciated as I know how important it is to have some moral support!

Thanks nif229
All Too Much

Post by All Too Much »

Hi Nif229, I have one DD and 3 DSs. There is a difference with DSs in that they take some motivating - open evenings/days in Autumn are great but a little late to get things going for him. How about taking him one day to your local GS quite soon? Perhaps you could make an appointment to get a short visit organised; alternatively let him have a look at the websites that these schools have; they always look fantastic !! If he is particularly interested in one aspect i.e. language, sport etc, try to stress how wonderful these are at the GS.

My first DS did not really try for his 11+ (he admitted this himself), went to the local upper for a year but then realised it really wasn't for him - practised for the 12+ and sailed through and now deeply regrets missing out on year 7 in a GS - even though he is now in year 10.

Good luck.
All Too Much
nif229

Post by nif229 »

All Too Much thanks for your reply. You're right about the School visits being far too late, it's ashame they aren't held now. I shall certainly check out the School websites with him later, that's a great idea. I'm glad your DS is doing well at his Grammar School, it's great to know that there can be light at the end of what seems like a very long tunnel!

nif229
andyb

Post by andyb »

Hi nif229

I can relate to what you have said - DS is obviously very bright but soooo lazy - he will do the absolute minimum to get by (admittedly in the top sets!)

I agree with what ATM says - take your son to see the schools - we did this in year 5 and it really put into perspective what his options were. Up until that point 11+ was just an abstract concept that happened at the beginning of year 6. Once he had seen for himself the differences in the schools he decided that he was going to grammar school - his words not mine (although I didn't disagree), it was then easier for him to see the benefits of doing some practice papers. I think boys need to know what's in it for them rather than you just telling them what's good for them. He also knew that lots of his friends were being tutored and his competitive spirit kicked in - he was going to show them that he could do it without a tutor!

Anyway we must have got through to him because he starts at his first choice school in September :D

Good luck
AndyB
All Too Much

Post by All Too Much »

Hi andyb, I believe (from other posts on this forum) that our DSs are starting at the same GS in Sept. They are quite strict with Yr 7s (from my current Yr 8s experience) so hopefully our bright but lazy boys will pull their socks up. Then again, perhaps boys' GSs in general know what to expect and are ready for them in all schools !
All Too Much
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi nif229

How nice to hear from you again! :D

Two sons down the line, and I can recommend one strategy in particular. Bribery, bribery and the more bribery. Short term bribes, long-term bribes, anything that will motivate him. The one thing to avoid though is bribes for getting good marks or actually qualifying. Just bribe him to do the work.

It isn't something to be proud of, and nor is it playing fair, but it works! :wink:

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

Hi nif229

I would also recommend seeing whether the schools you are interested in are holding a summer fayre of any kind that you could go along to. A fun experience like that can certainly help to motivate them :)
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Thanks for your encouragement guys, it means alot! :D

Sally-Anne, I laughed when I saw that you also use bribery! I'm sure that's why DS did so well in the paper I gave him on Sunday (£2)!

All Too Much, I showed DS a video of a Science lesson at SHF, where you see an explosion from heating up magnesium. He jumped off his chair with delight!!

I'd love to know how everyone else is getting on this year.

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted on our progress.
nif229
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Nice to see you again nif229 -

:D :D
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Aw thanks guest55! I remember your advice being invaluable when our DS was taking her 11+ and her KS2 tests, am I right in thinking that you teach at one of the GS in Aylesbury?

nif229
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now