Times Tables

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

liesauk

Times Tables

Post by liesauk »

Would anyone be kind enough to point me in the direction of a free site that will boost my DD2 times tables?

I am in the midst of tutoring her for sept 2010 admission and her math is letting her down.

thanks all!

liesa
xx
Alex

Post by Alex »

liesauk

Post by liesauk »

thank you alex. it is a great site!

Does anyone have any that will actually get her to learn her times tables initially please.

liesa
x
Alex

Post by Alex »

You might find the BBC Bitesize for KS2 useful.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

liesauk

Post by liesauk »

thank you so much!!

will enjoy showing her this.

liesa
xx
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

meteor multiplication is brilliant.

Ghostblasters is another really good game ,

you;ll find it here
http://resources.oswego.org/games/

it's the link for a whole set of interactive maths games
jah

Post by jah »

Quick recall is the important thing, and this doesn't need websites. This can be done with a pack of cards. Choose the table you want to practice, shuffle the pack, and then turn over the cards and the child has to multiply the chosen number by the value of the card that is shown. Jack=eleven, Queen =twelve and can use King as 13!

The advantage of this is that you can monitor how your child is performing, and also adjust the speed. Expect a faster speed with say 2x table, and slow down for 8x table.

Also good idea to do snap-tests when you are going somewhere together in the car. Particularly of sums you know your child is unsure of; perhaps 6x7, and keep dropping it into conversation at random times. If you've done the card game above, you will know which areas your child is weak in. If you leave it to a computer, you can't find out specific problems unless you sit with the child whilst they are doing it. You will just get an overall score.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

there's no reason why you can't do both!

The greater variety of games the better, each of the games tests the quick recall in a fun manner and children get a good feedback from teh games, accuracy and speed mean higher scores and the games are FUN.

Metoer multiplication gives the results of wrong answers and you can target those with ghostblasters. Variety is the spiceof life

I play the card games as a warm up sometimes, start off with teh child getting the pair if they are right and me geting them if they get it wrong. As they get better we play as a contest. (like snap, first to shout correct answer is the winner)
moved

Post by moved »

Timez attack, free to download, platform game, most children love to play. You throw splodge at trolls.