University entrance

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

University entrance

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

For those whose children are looking to go to uni from 2010 this may be of interest. I suspect it won't be long before 3A* are required.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/news/dp/2009031306
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yep there were mutterings from DS today about that.

I'm not surprised! I'm quite sure there are lots more people getting A at A level than there used to be. Also the requirements have gone up a lot ... medical school used to be BBB or BBC or even CCC if they liked you - now I doubt if you would get much change out of AAA and that would be out of 4 A levels
solimum

Post by solimum »

A friend's daughter has has standard med school offers of AAB this year.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

solimum wrote:A friend's daughter has has standard med school offers of AAB this year.
still higher than it used to be!
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

solimum wrote:A friend's daughter has has standard med school offers of AAB this year.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7946912.stm

Let's hope she'll be able to afford it. :shock:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Crumbs yes!

I reckon an eEssential part of pre university training will be how to get a part time job...
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

I'm constantly flabbergasted that the government hasn't noticed the link between tuition fees and young people's attitude to money.

When it becomes the norm to be tens of thousands of pounds in debt before you enter the workforce........... :roll:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

What I find absolutely outrageous is the fact that if a Scot or EU citizen goes to a Scottish uni then they pay no fees BUT if and English or Welshman goes to a Scottish uni then they have to pay fees. RACISM!!! :evil:

(I am Scottish so this comment is not offensive!)
Freya

Post by Freya »

What really annoys me is that the very well off will wince a little and get out the cheque book, the least well off will be granted by the state (so making sure not to exclude the 'economically disadvantaged' so that's alright then) and the people in the middle will struggle on and pay full fees with their children working all hours to contribute when they should be studying / being a young person! :roll:

Hmmmmm . . . my daughter (due to start Uni in 2010) has been a bit of a brat recently - do you think if I disowned her and handed her over to Social Services they would pay her fees? [JOKE]

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Thankfully my son got in on the last year of free tuition fees (albeit deferred for a year).

I'm now getting my head around the fact that I may have to be paying private school fees for the next 7 years + another 3 years on top (possibly more if she does a doctorate :lol: ) of similar amounts in tuition fees.

We are not rich, we are not poor - but we will be by the time this lot have finished with us :cry:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now