Low Cats Score

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Suki

Low Cats Score

Post by Suki »

Hi

As you have probably read from other threads my son's scores for Bucks 11+ were 2 x 120. We had a meeting with his head teacher on Tuesday, she was very helpful. She said she will strongly support our appeal, predict 3 highl level 5's for sats and 1 - attitude, 1-2 for ability (needs to decide after speaking to form teacher). The only thing that concerns me is is low CATs score of 113 ( a low non verbal brought the average down). How do we explain this in the appeal?

Any suggestions will be welcome
Jed

Post by Jed »

Do you have to include the CATs score? Your case seems strong on the basis of recommendation and consistency (2 x 120), plus you have the support of the school.

Jed
Suki

Post by Suki »

Hi Jed

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure, do I have to include the CATs score...............
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Suki,

I don't think that all primary schools do CATs tests.
As far as I know, my son never did any CAT test at primary school.

Best of luck with your appeal
Suki

Post by Suki »

Hi Catherine

I think every school in Buckinghamshire take the CATs exams, not sure about out of catchment. I suppose if out of catchment parents were to appeal and their primary school did not do the CATs exams they would not have these on their appeal letter.

We might mention the VR result of the CATs test and also take advise from our Head who has been very helpful.

Thanks for you input again

Suki
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Suki,

My son went to a Bucks school.
The school never mentioned CATs tests, and I also asked my son several times. He never did any VR or NVR test at primary school, except for the 11+ practice papers.

I am sure that Patricia or Etienne will know one way or another.

Catherine
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Suki

With such good 11+ scores, I think the CAT result is likely to seen as an isolated blip! No single test is reliable, and I take it this is the only CAT result?

Take comfort from 2x120!

Regards
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Suki

I've just been reading some of the earlier replies. You don't have to mention CATs, but the school ought to. There's a space on the headteacher's statement for alternative test results. Some schools don't fill it in, or fill it in selectively. Panels know that there may be some "cherry picking"!
Etienne
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Etienne,

Do all Bucks primary schools do CATs tests?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hello there, Catherine

I don't think so. Some do none, some do NFER curriculum-based tests like "Progress in English", a few might still do Richmonds.

But CATs are becoming more usual.

Regards
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now