what is involved in english sats

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

what is involved in english sats

Post by 40 »

Can anyone please clarify how english sats are marked? is it a combination of marks from seperate tests? for example dd was given a 5b on a story she wrote but when I asked the teacher what would she need to do to get an A teacher said its not that simple, why am I bothered as sats score will just come back as a level 5. I'm fine with that but as the school are using two periods a week on sats booster lessons and without being boastful i'm sure dd would get level 5 with or without booster lessons I can't see the point in it all unless they are going to give her the chance to score high level 5. I thought it would be like the year 2 comprehension but clearly i'm wrong. any guidance would be most appreciated
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS2SAT.htm

This has got mark schemes which might help

Post by 40 »

thanx guest55

do you know if it matters if they use an alternative word on the spelling, ie silk is luxurious a child might write extravagant/plush would they still get the same marks as long as its spelt correctly
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The test is read out I think so they have to put the word that is spoken.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

The text is read out to the children and they are told which word to write in the space. Writing a different word would give them no marks.

Answered at the same time :D

Post by 40 »

Oh I see, silly me!

Thank you both
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now