Info on St Olaves

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Info on St Olaves

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks to Billie, I have just come across St Olaves and would like some more info about it. I'd like to here from someone whose DC are at the school. How many A'levels do they generally sit (excluding general studies) and I noticed on the exam leavers that a high proportion of girls go to Oxbridge compared to the boys - can anyone give me a reason as to why they think this may be? Is it a reflection that the girls were taught better elsewhere? I'm hoping not as the school seems great and I like the admission tests.
Billie

Post by Billie »

My ds is on the waiting list for this September.
Looking at the prospectus there is a test for external sixth form applicants as well as expected GCSE grades and so I expect the girls are going to have to be fantastic to get in. Choice of university will be individual and they might go for the best for the subject and themselves - that is not necessarily Oxbridge.
Also, it says most study 4 As levels in Y12 then 3 A2 ( A'levels presumably) in Y13 + a critical thinking course. They can also take Open University degree modules.

Hope that helps.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Surely someone has a child at this school?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

They poach the best girls from the nearby super-selective girls school for their sixth form - might account in part for a higher proportion of girls going to Oxbridge?
tired_dad_2008

Post by tired_dad_2008 »

Don't want to be rude but this is one of the best schools in the entire country in terms of academic standards at A Level. You might question other aspects of the school but I wouldn't worry AT ALL about the academic excellence it embodies.

In fact, it is a very good school all round, not just academically - I have several friends with children there and it was the top choice on my son's form, although he missed the exam cut-off by 7 or 8 marks. It is very hard to get into, even compared to the Kent "super-selectives" in Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells, since it has many applicants from London as well as all over Kent and even Sussex.

Post by 1234 »

Students generally take 5 AS levels in yr12; 4 of their own choice and critical thinking. They then take 3 A2 levels in yr13.

However, very many students opt to take further maths, thus having 6 AS + 4 A2.