Nagty - what benefits?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

puzzled

Nagty - what benefits?

Post by puzzled »

Sorry, already posted this in the wrong place, but wanted advice on what benefits there are to being on the gifted and talented register (other than the label). Any information out there?
Karen

Post by Karen »

My son is a member, but prefers not to be very active with it. He's preferring teenage pursuits such as BMX/Skateboarding these days. It's the old saying: the more you put in, the more you'll get out of it. My colleague's daughter is a member and she thoroughly enjoys it.

Post by Guest »

Karen wrote:My son is a member, but prefers not to be very active with it. He's preferring teenage pursuits such as BMX/Skateboarding these days. It's the old saying: the more you put in, the more you'll get out of it. My colleague's daughter is a member and she thoroughly enjoys it.

My son is the same. He is a member but doesn't really participate. My daughter is a very different child and if she joins, I think she will be much more active.
bucksmom

Post by bucksmom »

I am also interested in what this means. My middle son aged 6 has been identified by his school as gifted in maths - maths aged of 10 year old. but now he is year 2 and there seems to be no resource / extra work or acknowledgement that he needs extra attention. As a result of this I am about to change his school to send him privately as smaller classes and more attention will be best for him. He also has extra classes outside of school which gives him more structured and difficult work.
I cant see any advantage to the scheme.
Karen

Post by Karen »

bucksmom wrote:I am also interested in what this means. My middle son aged 6 has been identified by his school as gifted in maths - maths aged of 10 year old. but now he is year 2 and there seems to be no resource / extra work or acknowledgement that he needs extra attention. As a result of this I am about to change his school to send him privately as smaller classes and more attention will be best for him. He also has extra classes outside of school which gives him more structured and difficult work.
I cant see any advantage to the scheme.
I had the same problem with my youngest son, acknowledgement of his gift, but no further work offered to keep him occupied. Consequently, he got very bored with school and would stop listening. Unfortunately NAGTY was not available at primary level, but not sure it would have been the answer anyway. Children need help closer to home, not by some organisation based miles away that runs courses all over the country, if you're willing to travel.
bucksmom

Post by bucksmom »

Karen

Is there somewhere I can take him - we are in Bucks. I am reluctant to change his school expecially as oldest son is in year 6 and will remain there. Oldest son has faired well there and achieved 139 in 11+ taken this year. mostly due to home tutoring. Middle son is different and needs more. Do i risk leaving him there or get him out?

any advice welcome
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now