Appeal entry and disqualification

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mad woman

Appeal entry and disqualification

Post by mad woman »

Question For Etienne,

I am writing up my appeal letter to the Grammar Schools as my son achieved the 360 kent test mark but was not given it due to a low NVR mark.I ahve got together all the details and evidence but I am very unsure what to actually put into the letter .Do I say that he did not qualify for the Kent Test but would like to appeal for a place on certain grounds or do I not mention that and just state the facts.Especcially hard this year with so many children not getting gs places.

Thank you.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think you should state that your son would have qualified but for NVR. I suggest you put forward any alternative evidence of your son's academic ability. (If NVR was the problem, then evidence of high ability in Maths, or good scores in alternative NVR tests, might be particularly useful.)

Then go on to state your reasons for wanting a place at this particular school.
Etienne
mad woman

Post by mad woman »

:oops: I've just re read my question and I'm so sorry for all those dreadful spelling mistakes.
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. The only evidence I really have for his NVR is his NFER score from June 08.Our school do not do any NVR and he wasn't tutored.Although he passed his Maths it was not a brilliant score but KCC did say to me it was very unusual for a child to pass the Maths and fail the NVR.His greatest strength is his VR and strangley enough in his NFER scores he gained one mark more for his NVR than for his VR.In the Kent test he achieved 137 VR 114 Maths 109 NVR.
The headteacher did take it to review but I have a copy of this and the HT side of it was not exactly well excuted.The panel said that his Maths did not show higher level Maths so he is trying especially hard to correct this and to make sure can show his grammar to take to the formal appeal.

Do you still think I should mention his weak points still or concentrate on the fact that English is his thing.
Sorry to be so long winded but I'm still not sure.

Thanks
Mad Woman
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The only evidence I really have for his NVR is his NFER score from June 08
Could you tell us what all the NFER scores were?
Etienne
mad woman

Post by mad woman »

NVR 118 VR117
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

These two scores are standardised differently from the Kent test.

The problem is: if you use the 118 as evidence of ability in NVR, then the 117 in NFER VR might discredit the 137 achieved for Kent.

No easy answers, but on balance I suggest you draw attention to your son's strongest academic points.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now