Nervously waiting appeal result

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Cornwall Mum

Nervously waiting appeal result

Post by Cornwall Mum »

Hello everyone

I am appealing for my son to get into Devonport High School in Plymouth. He has ADHD and some autistic traits.

My son failed by 5-10% and I have submitted my appeal with a lovely, supportive report from his Head Teacher and an incredibly positive medical report from his consultant. Both reports state the school specifically as being most suitable for my child and that he is academically capable. We did not ask for any special consideration to be given to our son as he is at School Action Plus on the SEN and doesn't have an actual Statement.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation or do you have any comments. I feel we have put very compelling evidence together, our son is bright and everyone, including his tutor have been fully supportive about him going to grammar. He was getting 85-90% in his test papers.

Fingers crossed. This is so nerve wracking.

Best wishes.
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

Hi Cornwall Mum,
We're in a similar situation to you.
We have a son with Tourettes who failed the 11plus by 2 points. We are appealing,but not just for one school !
It's a real shame that you didn't ask for any special measures which may have helped your son. We didn't either as we didn't think about it & our son,like yours, has no statement ,but with hindsight & some good old internet searching we found that we would have been well within our rights to ask.
Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing ?!
I have no words of wisdom to offer-sorry,simply words of support. You are most definately not alone,especially as you have found your way to this site :)
Wishing you & your son the best of luck,
Sallyj x
Cornwall Mum

Post by Cornwall Mum »

Hi Sallyj

Thanks for replying to my note earlier. I really wish you good luck for your son and will be monitoring how you get on.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I wish we had asked for special consideration. My son is having extra time with breaks for his SATS, but the 11+ application only said to mention if your child had a statement of special educational needs. I dithered at the time, but thought it meant he would need a full Statement. I wish I'd veered the other way, as I probably wouldn't be biting my nails like this now!

We are only at the review stage so far. The cut off for review appeals was yesterday and I pray we won't get turned down and have to go to formal appeal.

I hope you get your first choice of school. Good luck.