Maths GCSE, taking early, curriculum changes, Advanced Maths

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zee

Maths GCSE, taking early, curriculum changes, Advanced Maths

Post by zee »

At my son's grammar, the top set normally take maths GCSE a year early and then do advanced maths, but they've delayed a decision for the current year 10s.

Now they've said that because the curriculum and coursework have changed, they'll do both maths GCSE and advanced maths at the end of year 11.

Not that we have any say in the matter, but does anyone have any views on the relative merits of this?

Also, my son insists that "advanced maths" isn't a GCSE, but he doesn't know what it is. Obviously I will ask the school, but I don't know how quickly I'll get an answer.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It could be a FSMQ - free standing Maths qualification - you do need to know more.

However the research says that early entry is not a good idea ...
solimum

Post by solimum »

Following on from my post on the early French thread - my Yr 10 daughter will be taking GCSE maths early (this summer) with the rest of the top set (local comprehensive) - she's well on track for an A* (some modules already in the bag, including one which they sat confusingly at the same time as the late unlamented Yr 9 SATS!). Next year they'll be doing an "additional maths" bridging course (may very well be the FSMQ mentioned earlier) which is meant to make the transition to A level easier (apparently includes some calculus etc) as well as GCSE Stats. In previous years the top sets did both the Maths & Stats GCSEs in Yr 11 so we will see if the new system works better. She is planning to go onto A Level Maths but is not quite as in love with the subject for its own sake as either her Mum or her brother so hopefully the extra pre-A Level year will help make the transition easier. My eldest son (also not a natural mathematician) found the jump even from an A at GCSE to A level quite a shock
dyslexichelpneeded

Post by dyslexichelpneeded »

Guest55 wrote:It could be a FSMQ - free standing Maths qualification - you do need to know more.

I'm very interested in this. Please can you elaborate? I'm concerned that my DD, will be encouraged to take the GCSE early, and may not achieve her best possible grade. Her skills lie in other areas, and I'm not interested in her doing 'additional' maths in Year 11. I'd rather she just had a decent shot at an A, or better, an A* in her GCSE.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think its a good idea to sit the two exams together. I know of some independents who sit AS and A2 at the end of the sixth form as they believe it frees up more teaching time instead of preparing for exams every year and there results have improved since doing this.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Just to add more confusion - will it be GCSE linear or modular maths. :?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Just google FSMQ!!
dyslexichelpneeded

Post by dyslexichelpneeded »

dyslexichelpneeded wrote:
Guest55 wrote:It could be a FSMQ - free standing Maths qualification - you do need to know more.

I'm very interested in this. Please can you elaborate? I'm concerned that my DD, will be encouraged to take the GCSE early, and may not achieve her best possible grade. Her skills lie in other areas, and I'm not interested in her doing 'additional' maths in Year 11. I'd rather she just had a decent shot at an A, or better, an A* in her GCSE.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. My query actually related to the second part of your message - that 'research says that early entry is not a good idea'. What's the research, and what does it say?

Thanks
zee

Post by zee »

Returning to my original post, the "advanced maths" they'll be doing alongside Maths GCSE isn't FSMQ - though that's what they did in previous years after doing the GCSE a year early. I Googled that long ago when I thought that's what they'd be doing; as yet, I don't know what to Google instead, so will have to wait to hear back from school.

Have any other schools stopped early entry maths on the basis of restructuring the coursework etc, or is a quirk of my son's school?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now