Waiting Lists/Appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Anxious1

Waiting Lists/Appeals

Post by Anxious1 »

Our child did not reach the required academic standard to obtain a place at Grammar school. We are now going to appeal, but please could you possibly advise us of the following:-

Are we able to put our child's name on the waiting list should places become available over the next few months? and if so, are we entitled to know where we are on the list?

Will the LEA advise us how many parents are appealing for the same school or is that information confidential?

Many thanks for any help you can give us.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Anxious

When you say "did not reach the required academic standard to obtain a place at Grammar school," I need to be absolutely sure what you mean.

It sounds as if the minimum qualifying score was not achieved.

Or could it be that the minimum qualifying score was achieved, but places were then allocated according to score?
Etienne
Anxious1

Post by Anxious1 »

Hi Etienne,

Many thanks for your response. My daughter took the entrance examination for one of the Calderdale Grammar schools, but unfortunately did not perform well on the day and scored a few points below the qualifying score. Her class teacher has confirmed that she is on target for Level 5 SATS in Science, English and Maths and said she has already been hitting these scores in her practice papers at school.

I have advised the LEA that I wish to appeal, but am aware that the success rate for Grammar School appeals in Calderdale is very low. I just wondered if we were able to put her name on the waiting list should a place become available or is the waiting list only for children who hit the qualifying score. Many thanks once again for any advice.
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Hi Anxious, I think you will only go on a waiting list if your DD had made the qualifying score. You will probably need to appeal on the grounds of unsuitability and oversubscription. It is a tall order. We have done this once and been unsuccessful (for DD1) but we are doing it again for DD2. If you don't appeal, you might find yourself wondering "What if.......?" a few years down the line.
All the best
Bouga
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Anxious

I too don't see how you can go on the waiting list unqualified.

With regard to the other question, I would be surprised if the LA routinely informed everyone of the number of appellants, not least because the numbers might keep changing. It isn't confidential information, however, and they would probably tell you if asked.
Etienne
Anxious1

Post by Anxious1 »

Thank you Bouga and Etienne for responding. You have made things a lot clearer. Good luck Bouga with your appeal; hopefully your experiences in your first appeal will help you achieve success with the 2nd.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Anxious 1

Could you just confirm if you have been told a test score above which applicants would have qualified for a place.

I am certain that at no point were we given either any indication of a pass mark or confirmation that we had met the academic requirement. (This was inferred from my DC score and position in ranked order of merit).

It may well be that you received different information.

I am sorry if you have already covered this, but I was still unsure if you were talking about the number of places available or an actual stated cutoff score. :oops:
Anxious1

Post by Anxious1 »

Hi Mitasol

Unfortunately our letter actually says that a place cannot be offered as the required academic standard has not been achieved.

I don't know the actual cut off mark, but from what the LEA told me, to reach the required standard, a child needed to come within the ranked order of 370 and apparantly my child was a few marks off achieving that.

The Calderdale grammar schools take 310 children, so I now think from earlier responses that the waiting list must only be made up of those children who fall within place 370.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Fair enough! I thought if they had not issued a pass mark or stated non-qualified that you could request to join the list.

Good Luck with your appeal. :D
Mum of 1 and 1 to go

Post by Mum of 1 and 1 to go »

:( Hi I know how you feel. We are in the same boat appealing for Calderdale Grammars for our DD. There must be loads of appeals as there are us two on here for a start. Good luck. Are you hoping for NHG or CH?

Good luck! :)