Club Pengiun

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Josa

Club Pengiun

Post by Josa »

Does anyone have DCs that belong to this club? My DS wants to become a member so will appreciate any feedback from parents whose kids are already members or has been as I'm very weary about internet clubs for kids :?

Many thanks

Josa
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

My DC was a member for a while but soon got bored by it!
T-4-2

Post by T-4-2 »

My DD has been a member of Club Penguin for about 2 years. She hasn't used the site for a while now, but was infatuated with it for some time. A lot of her friends were members and, as far as I know, none of them had any problems. However, it is one of those kids games where you get extras if you buy credits. I'd say your DS will be fine, but might get addicted! :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Guest55 wrote:My DC was a member for a while but soon got bored by it!
Hi

I had forgotten about this !!! It was very popular for a short while about 2 years ago but I haven't heard anything about it for ages .... think it seemed pretty harmless!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Same as Guest55,
DS played this in Y5 but soon got bored (about 6 months) even though he insisted on becoming a member!
It is totally innocent. :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If you are worried why don't you become a member too? Your two penguins can interact - this is better with two PCs but can be achieved with one.
bcookerblum

Post by bcookerblum »

My dd and her friends were club penguin crazy for a while( one set of parents banned their dd from it in the end as she was getting up at silly hours in the morning to play and chat to people!). We never had any problems with it though and you can join for free and check it out( you can also set whether your child can chat freely or only use pre-set lines....etc)- the paid subscription( my dd had it for 6 months) doesn't seem to get you much more than being able to buy more clothes, furniture, pets.....etc as far as I can remember.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Yes, I agree with everything that's been said so far. The site is moderated and encourages responsible internet use, so that can only be a good thing, I suppose. There are some good games on there as well. As with all these things, it tends to be a craze for a while and then the interest falls away. We still have CP as our home page on the playroom computer, not sure why though as I don't think it's played with as much as it used to be! :?
Marylou
georgex

Post by georgex »

My daughter was a non member for about 6 months she played on it alot, so with some Christmas money she paid 6 months membership. Still plays it against her cousins and friends who live all over.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I'm a member :D

I joined so I could offer tech support to my daughters (it was a little buggy at one point when the Dojo was introduced). I have my own little private rule that I don't interact with other penguins.

It is safe. It's moderated both by tech support (there's a UK team in Brighton) AND members. After so many weeks they can apply for special 'spy' status which as well extra features asks them to report any penguins using inappropriate language, passing 'phone numbers. The account can then be blocked or closed, and IP addresses are also captured. To be honest, I've never seen any such language.

Penguins can chat to each other, but everything appears on the screen for everyone to see. Private messages can be sent, but they are preset ones ("See you at the Ski Slope" type thing) so there is no way of sending hidden dubious messages.
bcookerblum wrote:You can also set whether your child can chat freely or only use pre-set lines....etc
. When you / your child logs in, they select an island to go to. Their home igloo appears on whichever Island they select. On some islands, as bcookerblum says, on screen chat is limited to preselected phrases, and parents can limit children just to those islands.

I'm not into computer games, use Facebook only a little, but do quite enjoy Club Penguin in my own rights. And I've got a purple Puffle sweat-shirt!
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now