Last dates for accepting a private school place?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Billie

Last dates for accepting a private school place?

Post by Billie »

I believe some grammar school places are accepted and then held onto whilst parents think about whether to accept an offer of a private place or sort out finances to pay the fees.

Is there a date by which a private school place has to be accepted ( e.g first day of summer term + advance fee cheque? )?

Just wondering because I'm aware of some waiting for GS places who are thinking that there will be sudden movement with this or has that date already passed?
I don't know much about how the independent sector works - presumably each school makes up its own rules!?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

I thnk each school varies in what it requires, at some point they will require a terms fees to secure a place - could be anytime between now and the beginning of the first term. Some parents change their minds even after the payment is non returnable, they have problems with jobs etc and feel that they cannot commit to 7 yrs (partic if they were hoping to get a bursary at some point) and hence better to cut losses now.
another mother

Post by another mother »

As HM says all schools vary - and so do individual circumstances. But both years I've been involved the movement continues for a while into the summer term and even beyond. Individual places come up at GS or other schools and people may drop out of indies at the last minute. Even if you have paid a hefty deposit, a free place may well tempt you. (It's going to be cheaper in the long run after all!) And if you have paid one, you may well hang on till the last minute before deciding you really can't make it work.
There is also a surprising amount of movement in year 7 - in my younger dd's year two girls have transferred to other schools (one private one state) and four more (including two returning from abroad) are supposed to be joining either next term or the next.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agreed AM - there was one girl who left my daughter's GS at Xmas to go to an indie - not sure why but it happens.
boltew

Post by boltew »

The deadline for our local indies was about 2 weeks ago. I know of at least one person who has accepted her grammar school offer and paid the non-returnable deposit (to the independent school) but will wait until nearer Septmber to make a decision.
fm

Post by fm »

How self-centred, causing unnecessary anxiety to another child on a waiting list.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

fm wrote:How self-centred, causing unnecessary anxiety to another child on a waiting list.
agreed, but some people never think of anyone else... not like the folks on here who are trying to support others. :)
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I was new to the 11 plus process last September and when making enquiries about certain schools and the exam/interview process found that some people were very selective in the help and support that they were prepared to give. I was advised by my dd's teacher that this was because the 11 plus process is as much a competition between parents as it is for the children.

I am not suggesting for one moment that all the posters on this site fall into the category described above. In my own dd's case, not only did we give up a GS place but also the financial award arising from an indie scholarship in order to support another child.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

"How self-centred"

If we had a place at both and if the indie was our first choice we'd be doing the same - we wouldn't be burning any grammar bridges until at least June or July, maybe later. While nothing has been said yet (except to impose a pay freeze just as we'd jumped through all the annual performance appraisal hoops) I'm pretty sure that blood will flow at my employers this year - I don't see how it can be avoided. A large proportion of UK companies will be in the same position this year.

Mike
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

mike1880 wrote:"How self-centred"

If we had a place at both and if the indie was our first choice we'd be doing the same - we wouldn't be burning any grammar bridges until at least June or July, maybe later. While nothing has been said yet (except to impose a pay freeze just as we'd jumped through all the annual performance appraisal hoops) I'm pretty sure that blood will flow at my employers this year - I don't see how it can be avoided. A large proportion of UK companies will be in the same position this year.

Mike
I have to agree with Mike. Normally I would find it very selfish but in this current climate it would be prudent for a family to hold onto a GS place incase there was a chance that job cuts could be in the pipeline. I wached a programme a while back which said that school fees were so expensive that only a small number of professions could afford the fees. Banking was one of these professions and no bankers job is safe at the moment.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now