Tiffin Girls 6th form

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
catcool

Tiffin Girls 6th form

Post by catcool »

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:06 am Post subject: Tiffin Girls 6th form

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I appreciate this thread is well and truly passed 11 + but is any one out there waiting to hear from the school about whether their daughter has a place in the 6 th form for September 2009..
We sent an application in last November and were told we would hear by January/ February.Was told would be a delay as they had received over 300 applications for 40 places for external candidates. We heard nothing but then received a letter inviting my daughter to the school to meet with the staff to discuss her A level options.
Then told we would hear by Easter. Girls who were not invited to meeting received letter saying they would not be considered further.
I now understand we will not hear until after Easter break. Seems a long time bearing in mind Tiffin Boys have sent out offer letters to external candidates for places in their 6th form.
another mother

Post by another mother »

I can't help on Tiffin I'm afraid but I know the Camden Girls 6th form results were released only about 10 days ago. Given how early some of the indies made their offers in North London, it seems an even more drawn out and long winded process than year 7 entry.

I've been wondering for a while if there are sufficient of us out there with older children thinking about moving at Sixth Form, (and there are clearly able and informed parents who've also negotiated this next stage), and whether it be worth starting a sixth form section??? Is that fair on an 11+ forum?? Or maybe I am one of the few (though I suspect not the ONLY one!!) who is still anxiously trying to help their kids make choices when they should probably be standing back!! (although it might save a lot of money for uni!!)
KB

Post by KB »

Standing back a bit maybe, but at 16 they shouldn't be expected to cope with making such major decisions without support and guidance.
At the end of the day it has to be their decision as they will have to live with the consequences but surely any caring parent would want to be involved?
catcool

Tiffin Girls 6th form

Post by catcool »

It would be a great idea if the moderators would allow us to start a 6th form section. There is ceratinly a lot to discuss and advice from parents whose dd and ds are at those schools would be helpful.
I was lucky because I have a friend with a daughter already at Tiffins so knew a lot about it.I also clerk school admission appeals so i feel i do have some knowledge of schools in the local area.

Under the new School Admission Appeals Code from Sep 10 children above compulsory school age will have the same right of appeal against refusal as their parents currently have.
At present a parent has a right of appeal against refusal of a place at 6th form, so there would be plenty to discuss in this section.

So how about it Moderators!!
Louise2

Post by Louise2 »

I think thats a good idea I was only talking to someone the other day whose daughter is in year 10 at Tiffins who wasn't planning on going into the 6th form for various reasons including the subject limitations, the bias towards medical and science degrees and the lack of interaction with boys. Its something other parents may wish to discuss on the forum.
another mother

Post by another mother »

I'd be delighted - I can see it all looming. And of course as a caring parent (!) I will want to be able to help as much as possible. I can see big pros and equally big minuses about moving.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I think a 6th form section would be fantastic and hope the mods give it the go-ahead.

There may not be many parents around at the moment, but give it a few years and those who have passed through this site will be considering their options- by which time it could be as wonderful a resource as the 11+ side and appeals side of it is.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Sounds like a good plan to have a 6th form section! It'll keep me on this site for years!!