Second appeal for a Single Sex School in Herts

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stressed

Second appeal for a Single Sex School in Herts

Post by stressed »

We have granted a second appeal by Herts County Council and we really need to win this appeal. We are aplying for a In-Year Admssion for Year 7 to a girls school. This school is oversubscribed. The PAN is 160 but they offered upto 171 places at the end of July 2008 this included 9 appeals and 2 others. I think the actual figures were around 166 that actually started in Sept 2008. My question is do we have a strong enough argument to say that the school has a capacity of 171 even though only 166 took up the places in September, or is this killing our argument that the school is oversubscribed.

Does anyone know what would win an appeal on compelling grounds. I look forward to advice on this.
capers123

Re: Second appeal for a Single gender School in Herts

Post by capers123 »

stressed wrote:The PAN is 160 but they offered upto 171 places at the end of July 2008 this included 9 appeals and 2 others. I think the actual figures were around 166 that actually started in Sept 2008.
What were the actual intakes for previous years?
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Stressed

No, I don't think that argument would work. I can't comment on the two other cases, not knowing what they were, but if there were 9 successful appeals, that does not mean the school now has a capacity of 169. The appeal panel simply decided that those 9 cases were so strong as to outweigh the prejudice to the school of exceeding their PAN of 160. I'm afraid there's no question of there being 5 "vacancies", or of the next 5 appellants being treated more generously, because some pupils haven't taken up their place.

If the number on roll is now 166, your case has to be strong enough to outweigh the prejudice to the school of having to accept a 167th pupil.

How compelling your case needs to be depends on how strong a case the school puts forward. The most compelling arguments are usually social/medical, where it can be shown that a place at the school would significantly alleviate the problem. Other reasons are given in the Q&As, C2.

Capers is right to ask about previous years. If it can be shown that the school has regularly coped well with higher numbers, you might possibly be on stronger ground. Even so, they could always argue " ..... but we would have performed even better without the extra numbers."
Etienne
stressed

We won

Post by stressed »

Dear Etienne

We won our second school appeal for an In Year Admission for Year 7 at the school of our choice. I have to say it wasnt easy and the panel gave us a hard time but we won. I also have to add that we took legal representation with us and he was marvellous. So there is light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck to you all !
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear stressed

I wouldn't normally recommend legal representation, but I'm delighted you succeeded!
Etienne