On holiday for appeal date!!!!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
essexstardust

On holiday for appeal date!!!!

Post by essexstardust »

Help, we have just had our appeal date through this morning and its for when we are on holiday,(i just knew this would happen) I phoned them and they said they cannot offer another date as the diaries are all full. Has anybody ever been in this situation and do you think we are less likely to be successful if we dont go to the appeal hearing. We could send my mother in law but really dont know if this is a good idea or not, i could cry!!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry to hear this. It would be better to send a friend or relative than to be unrepresented.

The panel can take a decision on the paperwork alone, but my experience was that most such appeals were less likely to succeed, as the panel had no opportunity to have their questions answered.
Etienne
essexstardust

Post by essexstardust »

Thanks Etienne, I cant believe we got this date, the one week we could not have done!! they said they might be able to offer another date but not till july or even september, so upset, dont know what to do now. I will have to look into sending a friend but worried that this will not be looked at in a positive light. we booked this hoilday to florida over a year ago. :roll:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Did they not ask you to state dates you could not do? Mind you - these were overlooked for our appeal.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I agree with Guest55 - there is often a question on the appeal form asking what dates to avoid.
worried that this will not be looked at in a positive light
I don't see this as a problem - your friend can explain where you are, and I'm sure the panel will be understanding.

The problem is whether your friend or relative can answer questions as well as you would have done.

As you've been advised, it's possible to have a late appeal (after the main batch). There are pros and cons to this. The conventional wisdom is that it's better to be part of the main batch of appeals, so that your case is considered before any further places are allocated by the panel (which increases the prejudice to the school by the time late appeals are heard).

There is a less well-known view among "insiders" that it can be better to have a later appeal on your own, especially if your case is not particularly strong. Although you may be disadvantaged by the fact that the number on roll could now be above PAN as a result of successful appeals, you might benefit if your case is not being overshadowed by other cases with really compelling medical/social reasons. Unfortunately this is less likely to work if it's the same panel hearing the appeals, and I can't recommend this as a strategy when there's no way of knowing who will be on the panel so far in advance! (Authorities usually try to get the same or a similar panel, but it depends of course on who is available at the time.)
Etienne
sp

Post by sp »

Is the current head or year 6 teacher supportive of your appeal? If so then maybe they would be willing to attend. You could spend some time with them before your holiday and make sure they understand your points. A friend who knows your child well would be able to answer the more personal questions.
essexstardust

Post by essexstardust »

I was thinking of asking my mother in law, she is a very confident in these kind of situations and already knows the ins and outs of the appeal letter we put together. A bit worried that it will be looked down upon that we are away on holiday during term time,we dont normally do this in fact never(till now) do you think this would be the case?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I don't think so. All she need do is say that you're abroad, that you're very sorry because you really wanted to attend the appeal, and would never have arranged to be away if you'd known when the hearing was to take place.
Etienne
catcool

on holiday

Post by catcool »

For how many days are the appeals going on for . If they are going on for a second week and you are only away for one week ask if you can swap with someone else as it may be there will be others who will not be able to attend on any given day
essexstardust

Re: on holiday

Post by essexstardust »

catcool wrote:For how many days are the appeals going on for . If they are going on for a second week and you are only away for one week ask if you can swap with someone else as it may be there will be others who will not be able to attend on any given day
I will ring them again tomorrow and ask about this, i think she said that this particular schools appeals were on for 2 days, but i will check.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now