AQA Baccalaureate

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
gloucestermum

AQA Baccalaureate

Post by gloucestermum »

I notice that my DS school has just appointed a member of staff to manage the introduction of the AQA Baccalaureate.Has anybody any experience of this? I am assuming this is different to the IB?

GM
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - it's very different!

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/bacc.php
magwich2

AQA bacc.

Post by magwich2 »

DD's school seem to think that if you are already doing A levels and can fit in a bit of "voluntary" work you will not find it especially difficult to do a small amount more and blag it into a Bacc. It really is not anything very wonderful but once again because every other parent is deluded into thinking its marvellous we will all have to join in.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Thanks for your reply Guest 55.

I sense that you are not happy with the introduction at your DD's school Magwich? I cannot make any comments at the moment,as my DS is still in year 7 and therefore it will not affect him for a few years-but from what I have read on the link that Guest 55 supplied it seems to me it is trying to provide a more rounded sixth form experience?

We will wait and see what transpires!

GM
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

Personally I think this award will benefit those students who are already going to be the most interesting to universites.

When I worked at the University of Surrey (many years ago now) it was exactly this type of well-rounded student that we were most eager to recruit.

However, many of my DD's year have already ruled themselves out by default.

Not taking the extra AS did for some of them. Having no interest in their community and having no background in voluntary work of any sort did for a lot of others.

Academically sound, they might be, but not realy that interesting otherwise. Whereas the girls who will get the AQA Bacc most easily are those who are the most interested in the wider world around them.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

As an update to my previous post-DS school has just passed the first application stage to introduce the IB and can therefore advertise the fact that,subject to the second stage application being a success,will be offering the IB from Sept 2010(The Crypt School Gloucester)

GM