Good Luck Jess!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
usa

Good Luck Jess!!

Post by usa »

Jess
Wishing you and your daughter the best of luck tomorrow in THE TEST (shhhhh!!!) Hope all goes well and that all the hard work you have both put in, pays off. We all await with bated breath to find out how it was...............!
USA
Jess

Post by Jess »

Hi USA

I hate to tell you this, but my daughter isn't sitting for Tiffin this year and won't do so until 2008! I realise you're now going to think I'm a complete nutcase, but given how tight-lipped most people are about the whole process, I thought I'd better start fact-finding early. And as a lot of children round here seem to be going to tutors for at least 2 years I'm glad I did! She and I do the odd hour sometimes at weekends (which she really enjoys) but I won't start in earnest for a while yet. But thanks for the good wishes.

Milly and Louise-hope it goes really well tomorrow.

Jess
Karen

Post by Karen »

Hi Jess

I don't think you're a nutcase! I think it is very sensible to get as much info in advance as you can. I just wish our part of the forum was more productive.

My son has finished his entrance exam for this year and I found this site invaluable in a general sense, I left it a bit late for him but was naive about the system. My daughter is in year 3 so I will keep looking in for 2009 info you will be the expert then!!

Karen
Jess

Post by Jess »

Hi Karen

Thanks for the reassurance!

Which school(s) is your son sitting for? Hope it went well.

Jess
Louise

Post by Louise »

We have just finished the Tiffin exam today phew thank goodness. Lots and lots of children queuing up more than 500 and that was the second session of the day. VR and NVR 80 questions in 50 minutes with a 5 minute break in between. They had to work straight through the paper it wasn't split into sections. Types included opposites, AB is to DK, missing words and find two words that don't go with the other three words. NVR was easy (apparently) but VR was hard. No codes questions and hardly any maths questions this year, but vocab was hard.
Karen

Post by Karen »

Hi Jess,

My son only sat for Glyn in the end. We never went for Sutton Grammar we just weren't prepared enough. You may have read my earlier posts further down on that subject.

If he gets a selective place at Glyn I will be more than happy, they get great results for a non Grammar. The test was on saturday and went well according to him, we'll have to wait and see.

Karen
Karen

Post by Karen »

Hi Louise,

Thanks for the info, fingers crossed for your child.

Karen
Jess

Post by Jess »

Yes, thanks for the info Louise. Seems really cruel that you now have to wait till March to get the result. Will keep my fingers crossed for you both.

Milly-how did your child get on?

Jess
usa

Post by usa »

Sorry Jess - I jumped the gun a bit there! Yes - you are right in preparing early - little and often. I hope you get a little information from the exam that has just taken place and I wish you both luck for the future!
USA
Milly

Post by Milly »

Hi Jess

Sorry its taken me a while to reply. We've been having a really relaxing couple of days since the exam. Can't even begin to tell you what relief we feel now that all the exams are over.

Re: Tiffin. My son said the NVR was fairly simple and finished with time to spare but he found the VR quite hard going at times which in practice has always been the other way around.

He compared the questions to the type found in the NFER practice papers but not as difficult as Bond.

The main problem with the Tiffin exam was the waiting around. We dropped our boys off at 8.30 and they didn't come out again until 12.40. Considering the actual exam took less than 2 hours, this was over 2 hours of hanging around in the waiting areas for them. Too long!

Well Jess, I wish you luck with your coaching. It might be an idea to buy the Bond books which have the 10 minute tests and appear more like a puzzle book. My son enjoyed these and they definately helped him with speed. You can even do them in the car

To everyone, Relax for a while, enjoy Christmas and pick it up again in the new year.

Milly
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now