How do I prepare my child for Eton, Harrow...

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
monkeymum

How do I prepare my child for Eton, Harrow...

Post by monkeymum »

Hi all,

New to this site and have really enjoyed reading the discussions taking place. :D

I wanted to pick the brains of all you experienced parents out there on how to prepare my child for entry into Eton, Harrow, Charterhouse, Habs..

To give you an insight into my child, he is a bright child in year 4 at a state school but have been suggested by a lot of teachers and friends to send him to a boarding school as he would benefit from that environment.

Have looked at school websites, but the more I read, the more confused I get! What do I need to prepare him for? Should I get a tutor? Does anyone know of any good tutors who have got their students into these schools?

Please help! Confused first time mum :cry: :?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Monkeymum,

Welcome to the site. You may or may not be aware that Habs is not a boarding school and the preparation is very different at Habs than the three other schools you have mentioned. Unfortunately a tutor is essential for Habs and the odds of getting offered a place are not high as it is very competitive. Entry to Habs is at 11 where as entry to the other 3 is at 13.

IMO, the only preparation for the other 3 is by sending him to a prep school, by Year 5 at the latest, that prepares for these schools. The schools will prepare him and they will also advise you on the school he is most suited for. Eton produces a list of feeder schools but I always think its best to choose a school that sends to these schools year on year rather than 1 boy every 4 years.

I assume you will need help with fees as most who can afford E, H & C would already be paying for prep school. The best thing to do is to sit a scholarship at a boys prep school as there will be a better chance of him getting one if he is not competing with girls. Preparation for this would probably be Bond assessments going up to 2 years above his age. You could opt to sit the junior scholarships at Eton or Harrow but the odds of getting one are not high and you will have more chance if you go direct to the prep schools and sit their scholarships.

Finally, Harrow is one of the most difficult schools to get in to. Its academic benchmark is not as high as Eton but you have to generally be an all-rounder (musical or sporty) to get in. It is also more oversubscribed. Is there a reason why you have chosen these 3 boarding schools as there are many others?
monkeymum

Post by monkeymum »

Thanks for the helpful advice. Chose these three because I was told he was more likely tp get a scholarship at one of these school - no other reason. Can you suggest any good feeder prep school?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Probably best to pm me your location and where you would be willing to travel to given that it would probably be a boarding prep.
monkeymum

Post by monkeymum »

willing to travel anywhere, preferable not too far out from London but not bothered if it is a good prep school, willing to do anything.....spill the beans Tipsy, you seems to be a infinite source of knowledge.....how did you prepare your children?

Feel really naive about the whole situation....reading other forums makes me realise that most parents are really on the ball....I'm still inflating mine! :(

Thanks for the tip on Bond papers Tipsy...have bought them already but am doing the second Bond papers.....finding them too easy....will skip a year... any other recommendations?

What is everyone else planning to do? I can't be the only parent who is planning to prepare their child for a good boarding?

Come on guys...help out a naive mum trying to help their child...or am I being really naive and need to realise that I am just competition....now I'm really losing the plot....
monkeymum

Post by monkeymum »

just realised that you can't recommend tutors on forums...should have read forum rules! Feel free to pm me anyone who is willing to share :D
monkeymum

Post by monkeymum »

Tipsy, you are a true source of knowledge. Thanks for all your advice. I bow down to you :D
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

monkeymum wrote:I bow down to you :D
Not a good idea! :shock: :lol:

Although this is a fantastic forum most people are preparing for 11+ grammar schools so you may not get that many posting on here about your situation. Its always good getting an IQ test to give yourself some guidance of your sons abilities but I do not know where you could get a relatively inexpensive one done. I think I may start a thread on EVERYTHING ELSE about this.
monkeymum

Post by monkeymum »

Have got his IQ tested already...which cost me a fortune! :shock: Was advised by SENCO at school to do so. Expensive but gives you an idea on your child's potential.

Like I said to Tipsy on pm and I say to all, I don't think a child's true potential is enough in these times. :( It's seems the well prepared parents get their children in and the ill prepared or naive parents who rely on their bright child's spark to shine at interview don't.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Monkeysmum

I noticed TIPSY's comment re fees earlier in the thread and your comment re scholarships. I might be out of order here and apols if I am but if you are new to this I'm not sure if you realise that high percentage scholarships ie 50% or more are much rarer these days and there is an expectation that the parents will contribute the rest. There are often (or were..) also bursaries available - these are income dependant and help to top up the scholarship. Over the last few months there has been a very high demand for help with fees from kids already at schools and the ever decreasing pot of money for bursaries is shrinking. Obviously well endowed schools will be able to keep helping people for much longer. If fees / topping them up plus billas for the all the "extras" is no problem then just aim high! Otherwise make sure your check up what is offer first before DS has to do loadsa tests!

Good luck Herman