IQ test

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

IQ test

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I was wondering if members who have had DC assessed would be willing to share how they went about this and the cost. I've recommended to some that it might be a good idea but in my experience they are expensive. Hopefully there are some cheap ways to get one! :)
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

I think the SENCo at school would be the first person to ask. They will know of contacts that could help, presumably on a private level but at least it would be a start.

IQ tests can help to 'prove' intelligence but also important is the 'functioning' level. Both DD1 and DD2 had contact with the local authority Educational Psychologist through their state junior school, who tested various things.

DD1 had IQ of 125 and a 'functioning' level of 97%. i.e. she functioned in the top 3%. She's now in year 9 at local Grammar and is flying along in the top sets.

DD2 had IQ of 115 but a functioning level of 20% i.e.she functioned in the lowest fifth. Further tests showed up dyslexia, dypraxia and exophoria (even with strong glasses her eyes focus at different lengths and independently of each other- a real problem just to read anything at all!). She's now in year 7 at local secondary receiving extra help from TA's in lessons. Orally bright but terrible in written work, she used to be about three years behind her peers, but through very hard work is now 'only' a year behind.

I'm just mentioning this because IQ tests can seem to help in proving a child's intelligence, but beware of nasty surprises!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

This is very interesting. The IQ tests we got were not sought by us and we were only given a number at the end. I found this disappointing as DS1 does not always function at his IQ and because teachers know how bright he is they are tough on him when he does not seem to be doing well with his written output. Did your IQ test have a name/was it a specific type?
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Hello T.i.p.s.y.,

Have just been riffling through box of paperwork from DD's junior school, rather dusty, needed my blue asthma pump, note to self - dust more often!

I can't furnish you with what type of IQ tests were used unfortunately. The IQ and functioning level were hand written by the Ed Psych on my daughters' IEP (Individual Education Plan).
The school did not want me to see the IEPs but a friend who is a Teaching Assistant at another local primary told me I could insist on seeing them as they should be signed by a parent/guardian, which I did, then asked for them to be photocopied. As I had taken my 2 year old son who having a strop and throwing chocolate Weetos round the room then stamping on them, they were photocopied pronto, I think to get us out!
Could you ask to see your son's IQ tests, or actually ask what his 'functioning level' was? I tend to find that if you know the correct terminology, a school can be helpful when they realise that you cannot be fobbed off! I had to sign a form to give permission for the tests as they were adminstered by a someone outside the school,so did you have to? I don't think tests can be carried out without parental consent.
It sounds like knowing the results would help your son if the teachers were more patient with him.
(our son is now 3 and a half and still has a bit of a temper so feel free to borrow him!)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

IPP,

OH has asthma too and picking up clothes from the floor aparently creates too much dust! :roll: Maybe he hasn't been lying! :shock: Note to me - be kinder to the wheezy greying one.

DC did IQ's as a surveyed group so we didn't pay :D . Have tried to get more details. DS1 was brief with IQ number only and DS2 was slightly more detailed. The school didn't request report (not that there really was one) and are not too bothered about seeing it. I'm not planning to pay for one as it costs too much but a part of me would really love to know if there are weaknesses although I'm sure I'd feel guilty if there were. Note to me - don't whip DC when they can't write 2 page essay in 5 minutes. :shock: Still want me to look after cute 3 year old! :wink: :lol:
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Hello T.i.p.s.y.,

Gosh, how annoying for you to be given only part of the information on the IQ tests. Like dangling the proverbial carrot at you, then taking it away!

A friend with a son the same school as my DD2 also had tests done by the Ed Psych as her son was bright but seemed disturbed and was causing problems for other children.

His results had his IQ in the 130s but a 'functioning level' of just 2%, yes 2%! The mum was actually relieved because this result led to further tests and a diagnosis of Aspergers and ADHD, which explains such disparate IQ test results. She was relieved because she had felt no one believed her when she told people of his behaviour, such as running in front of cars and smearing poo on the bathroom walls (sorry, probably too much info!).

This result is obciously extreme but rather interesting I think.

My DDs did the CATs tests when they first started in year 7 and got the same results as they had done at the junior school. I think your DSs are in the private sector, so did their schools do the CATs tests or is this just a state school thing? (as a parent I hope such tests do continue as I think they help to catch any problems, even though the teachers want them stopped!)

Good luck to your two. IPP xx

P.S. As well as three year old boy, you're welcome to a ditzy 11 year old girl and a VERY hormonal 14 year old girl! :lol:
zee

Post by zee »

We went through this about 7 years ago. Child was unhappy and misbehaving at school, refusing to do maths and the school suggested anger management. We reckoned he was bored and compromised in taking him to an ed psych. It was just off Harley Street (if anyone wants the name and website, PM me). I thought it cost us ~£150, though the website quotes £450 for full assessment and £220 for “reviewâ€
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Zee,

With an IQ in the similar range to DS did you have to tutor your son for Grammar School and was it a school which took the top scores? Hope you don't mind me asking but am not sure whether I need to tutor DS as it will be practically difficult for us to do.
zee

Post by zee »

I don't mind you asking. :)

We're in Bucks, so the whole state system is selective and ~25% get into grammar.

The prep didn't really prep for 11+ (it was over the border in another county), but I just used IPS papers (which are the ones closest to Bucks) occasionally from Easter of year 5, with tests in Oct of year 6. Once the techniques and speed were sussed, ennui set in, so I'm glad we didn't start sooner. In our circs that was fine, and I'm sure it's possible to overdo the coaching, but then again, the situation is a little easier here in Bucks than in some areas.
teacher

Post by teacher »

Oh dear. These assessments are such a mixed bag. Our school has a list of Ed Psychs that we use but I know that we always recommend the one that we know from experience gives the clearest and most useful information; i.e the one that both parents and teachers find helpful. I have seen many over the years and they vary from being different test results being put into the same template and the same recommendations for every child to ones that provide a clear and useful profile. I don't think you have to pay a huge amount. Ask around. A good SENCO should be able to recomend a few!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now