NfER NVR Paper A

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kevin8

NfER NVR Paper A

Post by kevin8 »

We cannot figure out some of the answers given in Paper A. Please can someone give us the logics on the following answers?

NFER NVR Paper A
Section 2 Q4- answer book says c? we think there is no answer to that Q!

Section 3 Q12 - answer book says e? DD says it can equally be (b)!

Section 5 Q11 - answer book says d? DD says i should be (c) as at least one triangle should have 90deg angle as the two shapes shown on left have right angled trangle/

Section 5 Q12 - answer book says (c) but DD disagree as he argues as (b) is the most similar shape to those on left!!

I can see from this forum that Paper A is quite hard and DD didnt do well though he gets high scores for Bonds!!

Any help would be appreciated.
Kevin
fm

non-verbal

Post by fm »

Question 4: The end row has whatever the first and second rows have in common i.e. white triangle and black chevron, therefore c

Question 12: It is E because the next thing to disappear (the rectangle in this case) is always cross-hatched which the one in b is not, the chevron being wrongly cross-hatched because it does not disappear next

Question 11: Do my elimination. Both shapes are 4 sided so that eliminates B. Both have diagonal so that eliminates E. Both have shading at angle to diagonal so that eliminates C. You are left with A and D. It is D because the base is a horizontal as the two shapes are as opposed to the base of A which is on a slant. Yes, he is right that both have right angle but this is not a significant feature. You must be able to select features that eliminate down to only one possible solution.

Question 12: The two shapes have one white circle and 4 lines in common. This eliminates everything but C. B is no good because it does not have a white circle.

Hope this helps.
kevin8

Post by kevin8 »

fm

Thanks for all except for 11 for which DS argues differently. He argues c instead of d. The point is horizontal base and one right angle! I can see where you coming from, but I think the angle is more important than the shading pattern? What’s your view on that?

DS got 45/60 at the first attempt for this tricky paper and having read many critics on 11A, I'm pleased with his performance.

Thanks for your help
Kevin
fm

Post by fm »

No, I can see too many reasons it's not that one. As well as the shading being parallel rather than at an angle, the diagonal is also going in a different direction to the other two.

You are rather early to be doing the NFER non-verbals. Assuming you may be doing the Sutton schools, what were you going to practice nearer the time?
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

This past thread may also shed some light:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... sc&start=0
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now