Moving to Warwickshire...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ed's mum

Moving to Warwickshire...

Post by Ed's mum »

The following is from the Warks LEA website...I hope that what is in bold is incorrect...
Important Dates for Entry in September 2010

Applications for Secondary School will be available from 1 June 2009
Closing date for applications for children living in Warwickshire for September 2010 is 23 October 2009
Closing date for Selection Test Registration is 17 July 2009 (11+ Information)
If you are moving into Warwickshire, you must send in your proof of address by 5 February 2009
I sincerely hope that the 2009 date is a mistake!!

I shall be making various enquiries over the next few months to the LEA over moving house and the difficulty in selling a house during the current housing market and the acceptability of renting out current house and renting within the catchment area.

Essentially, we want to move into Warks due to husband's job and having a son already at school there and would like to sell our current house. However, the fear is that we won't sell - in the current climate - by Feb 2010 (not '09 as stated I hope). My aim is to find out whether we will be allowed to rent our house out and rent one within catchment...

For anyone else interested in the ins and outs of what is acceptable and what is not with regard to moving/selling/renting, I shall try to keep an up to date record on this thread.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

I'm sure that will prove to have been a typo as the date has always been Feb of the year of entry.

Re renting, I'm sure you have a valid point. The problem being those less scrupulous than you, who may see the renting situation as temporary - moving back to their lovely-but-slightly-out-of-catchment home once a place has been offered...

x
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Totally agree about what some might do to get in catchment! That's why i need to start asking questions now.
magwich2

moving to warwickshire...

Post by magwich2 »

What exactly is so wrong with doing anything you can to get your child into the school you want? We are all british citizens and british taxpayers and have every right to send our children to a british school,
Indeed it could be argued that a committed parent from outside the catchment area with an inventive and determined nature might provide a better class of pupil to the grammar school than one which just let their child do the exam without caring either way.
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Magwich :shock: That is a terrible thing to say! I am insulted by your reference about that the parent is more important than the child! This is ALL about the childs education, not the class of the parent. If a child is bright enough to gain a place whether or not the parent is supportive, then they should have the place. The parent has to be supportive to a certain extent to take them to the place of exam in the first place -they dont have to sit the exam anymore!
magwich2

moving to warwickshire..,

Post by magwich2 »

I do not think you quite understand what I was saying.
When I mentioned "class" it had nothing to do with social class but just meant type or category. I do think that parents are important but entirely agree that one of the good things about grammar schools is that a child from a really appalling family can pass the 11+ and get away from them.
I cannot remember who it was but I recollect they were very left wing who said that it would be inevitable that a child from a very poor (morally and spiritually, not fiscally) family would end up ashamed of their parents if grammar school had done a good job!.
The main point of my post, however, was that all grammar schools should be super-selectives without catchment areas (and there should be far more of them).
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Interesting comments above.

Right, this is what I have been told. When I refer to Warks I specifically mean East Warwickshire (the bits that comply with the new priority circle within Warks).

* No problem with selling/renting out current house and buying/renting in Warks (Feb 2010 cut off date to prove any of the above)

However, if we fail to rent out or sell our house (which is a possibility if you see the state of our house and consider the housing market as it is now), we would be considered to be having our main address as the one we currently reside in, even if we are not living in it(not trying to be fraudulent) and ARE living in Warwickshire.

In other words, regardless of what we do once in Warks (buy/rent) we cannot have a house that is empty and still our responsibility. We need tenants in order to comply.
fed up

Post by fed up »

What a mess. It's unbelievable that people have to put themselves through this (Ed's mum). Totally agree with you Magwich 2.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Ed's Mum

However, if we fail to rent out or sell our house (which is a possibility if you see the state of our house and consider the housing market as it is now), we would be considered to be having our main address as the one in Leicestershire even if we are not living in it(not trying to be fraudulent) and ARE living in Warwickshire.
This is interesting. If you are renting in East Warwickshire try telling the Warwickshire Council Tax deparatment that you don't have to pay Warwickshire Council tax because Warwickshire LEA classify you as living in Leicestershire! I suspect that you would not get very far.

Ken
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

:mrgreen: I always love your fresh slant on things KenR!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now