Prestwood admissions to Challoners High

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fedupfromprestwood

Prestwood admissions to Challoners High

Post by fedupfromprestwood »

Hi
Just wondered if anyone could help me. I have read on your website that this years admissions are a real anomoly. Well, the girls in Prestwood are the victims of this anomonly. There is about 10 girls here that have not got into DCHS. We have had the first allocation letter. Anybody any idea (how long is a piece of string) how many girls get in normally between the first allocation letter and August 29th? Why would people drop out during this period, apart from moving? Private school admissions have happened haven't they?

any tips on appeals too?!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Second round has happened and you should receive a waiting list letter soon. Presumably you have a GS place - a transfer appeal is very hard to win - why DCHS anyway? Convince us :lol: :lol:

That would be the start of your case ...
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi FedupofPW, and welcome to the Forum. :D

The major furore has been all about the boys until now, and that has been a huge shock to everyone - not least Admissions, but there is usually pressure on DCHS as well.

It is hard to say exactly why the situation can change so much between March and late August. If you look at this link, you will see the historic figures and, from last year's figures, how much change there can be: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11-plu ... rofile.php

Private school waiting lists, job moves, RAF Halton, indecisiveness - they all play a part in the shakedown between now and September, as do transfer appeals themselves.

Presumably the alternative school you have all been offered is Chesham High? It is a good school, and getting better all the time under the new Head.

One idea you might like to look in to if you feel strongly about a single gender school is a place on the waiting list for Beaconsfield High? For the first time in living memory (or thereabouts) they were "All Offered" on Allocations Day, which suggests that they may even have a few vacant places?

The success rate for Transfer Appeals for Grammar Schools is 15% - you will need very compelling evidence indeed to make your case.

Please read the Appeals Q&As first http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php, and post any questions about appeals on the "Appeals" section, not here.

Sally-Anne
fedupfromprestwood

Post by fedupfromprestwood »

Hi
Thanks for replying. I am getting a picture of the liklihood of her getting in - quite good I think. DCHS is actually my daughters first choice. My first choice for her was Chesham High, which I thought seemed like a really exciting, fun and now I hear from ofsted, "improving rapidlySchool." I am quite mistified why are people so obssessed with getting into DCHS? I am trying to convince her that Chesham High is the place for her.......can anybody who has kids there back me up!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think there is a historic 'snobbery' about some of the single-sex Grammars. Some of they were able to select on 11+ score so they 'creamed off' the top scorers and, surprise, surprise got better results! This only changed four years ago so the first cohort affected have not done GCSEs yet.

I do know several people with children at CHS and it is decidedly a school that is rapidly improving. I would have thought transport is easier too.
newgirl

Post by newgirl »

Everybody I know who goes to Chesham High is really delighted with it and I have to say I wish I'd put it as an option (too far from us) as we haven't got what we wanted either. CH seems to really be the place to be these days as the new Head is a powerful force and is really shaking things up. The travel would presumably be miles better for you - and that could really make a big difference for the next 7 years!

Post by 40 »

Sorry to hijack this post but does anyone know the realistic chances of being offered a place at DCHS from the wait list now? what place did it go to on the list in years past for instance. Also I know some lists have more than one child per place i.e. 4 children could all be 10th on the list. is this the case in bucks. One last thing, the letter confirming our place mentioned that our place could go up or down as others join the list, but where are they joining from? I thought there was a deadline to add your name to the lists that has long past.

thanx for your relies!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is only one child per place but I would think the list will not move much. Someone could move into the area and do a late 11+ and move ahead of you. Transfer appeals have a very low success rate but you have nothing to loose!

Post by 40 »

Thanks Guest55
newgirl

Post by newgirl »

Dare I ask what number you are - I'm not even in the top ten and thinking it's probably not worth thinking about as it's so unlikely.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now