Found this word-code question hard,is it a common one??

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hogwarts

Found this word-code question hard,is it a common one??

Post by hogwarts »

My son has practised quite a few of these from the tutors and bright sparks, but we were given this practice sheet by Calday and it had a technique I wasnt aware of, am now wondering if there are more ways of working out that we hadnt seen before-
e.g.
If the code for ANYWAY is ZMBDZB
What is the code for GRAPHS ?

So, if we start with the A you count 25 forward rather than going back 1, and for the N and others you would count forwards until you hit the Z before continuing to count backwards till you get 25. Is that a common one because it seemed really hard to me! Before this they had seemed more 'obvious', the count forwards, backwards etc in a sequence or alternating. This one threw me a bit, anything else I am missing here?
Thanks in advance
P.s. answer is TIZKSH, wouldnt want to drive anyone crazy :-)
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Hi Hogwarts,

I think you are getting the technique wrong here!(from what I can remember from DS papers).This type is a mirror code-so you have to split the alphabet in 2 and work out the mirror image of every letter

So if you split the alphabet at letter M-

Then A would be Z
B to Y
C to X....and so on

Hope this makes sense!

GM
moved

Post by moved »

Hi

I get my pupils to draw a line down the alphabet between M and N so that they mentally check for a mirror. With children who still do not check I get them to make up their own version of the mirror pairs so that they don't forget: e.g.
Agile Zebras, Yellow Butterflies, ... , Nice Mice. Some of my pupils have made beautiful alphabets just for fun with clip art pictures detailing the new alphabet pairs.
I have to add that this was not my idea, but one I like a lot.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

thanks moving, I love that idea!
hogwarts

Post by hogwarts »

Ahhhh, I see now, gosh they seem so obvious when they're pointed out! Thanks very very much for that x
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Ah! You've found a type that really confused me at first. It's a reflected in the middle type one.

Write out the alphabet in a straight line and put a vertical line down the middle and pretend its a mirror.

I think these are actually rare in real exams but once you know the trick it will not be too taxing.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati