Standardised scores

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tillytonk

Standardised scores

Post by tillytonk »

Hi, I have my daughters standardised scores and wondered if anyone could tell me into which percentile they fall. I am going to use them in my appeal but would like to know what I am talking about! Thanks.
Year 2 Reading 113
Maths 108

Year 3 Reading 122
Maths 114

Year 4 Reading 132
Maths 118

Year 5 Reading 129
Maths 127

Also are these OK or can you forsee any queries being raised? Thanks in advance.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Anything in the mid-to-upper 120s is very good, so by year 5 everything seems fine.

To get an idea of percentiles and nationally standardised scores, have a look at the table in the Q&As at the end of B28.
Etienne
tillytonk

Post by tillytonk »

Sorry to poat again but I have yet another question! I have today been given by my daughters teacher the scores from an 11+ paper she did in class. Can anyone tell me how these translate into scores. We are in Lincolnshire and the pass is 220 meaning 110 in each paper would do.She scored 78 in VR and 83 in NVR. I did not collect the results personally my husband did and she told him they were great and my daughter says she was one of the highest in the class which is why I'm sure they must be converted somehow?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

They will be "raw scores", which are then standardised for age.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/standa ... scores.php

It is really a lot easier to work with either the raw scores or a percentage, because you cannot calculate the standardised mark yourself.

I am guessing that your daughter's scores are marks out of 85, but someone from Lincs will be able to tell you more. (If they are marks out of 85, then they are indeed excellent! :D )

Sally-Anne
tillytonk

tutoring

Post by tillytonk »

I have read that panels ask if the child has been tutored? Does anybody know if there is a correct answer to this?? What is the thinking behind this question. In Lincolnshire we are advised not to tutor.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The correct answer is the truthful answer. :)

The ideal answer, I would suggest, is "No" or perhaps "Just a little".

From the Q&As:
Some panel questions translated (with acknowledgements to Sally-Anne)

Was your child tutored? = Did she fail despite months of preparation?
Etienne
obiterdicta

Post by obiterdicta »

Etienne

I have the standardised scores for my daughter's 11+ which are 111 and 108, leaving her one mark short for Lincolnshire's pass mark of 220.

However I have not had the raw scores yet.

In converting raw to standardised what is the situation where
VR was held on Sept 20 and NVR on Sept 27 and my DD's birthday is August 25th, would she be 10 plus 0 for VR and 10 plus 1 for NVR or 10 plus 0 for both?
Thanks
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Obiterdicta

From the Age Standardisation tables that I have seen the normal practice is to take the Age (in years and whole months) on the date of the test. So your latter interpretation would be correct, the 2 ages would be slightly different.

However you need to bear in mind that there is often no difference in the adjustment factors for adjacent months.

You daughter was clearly very young at the date of the test(probably one of the youngest), however the Age Standardisation process is only an adjustment based on age related academic ability. It doesn't take into account of the maturity or "Emotional Age" of the child. In a formal exam environment (as opposed to a classroom based test) this can have a significant impact on the child and hence the results.

Another factor is the Lincoln 11+ exam are also very early in year6.

If you think this might have been a factor you should maybe do some research and consider mentioning this - Etienne and Sally Anne will no doubt advise. I think I recall coming across a few research papers on the subject:-

See Bell, J. F & Daniels S (1990) Are summer-born children disadvantaged? The birthdate effect in Education. Oxford Review of Education 16 (1), 67-80.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ken
obiterdicta

Post by obiterdicta »

Thanks Ken R. I have taken note of that research which was new to me.

I already have this research lined up.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bb2b993c-cc51 ... 07658.html

and this:

When You Are Born Matters:
The Impact of Date of Birth on Child
Cognitive Outcomes in England
Claire Crawford
Institute for Fiscal Studies
Lorraine Dearden
Institute for Fiscal Studies and Institute of Education, University of London
Costas Meghir
Institute for Fiscal Studies and University College London

One key point I will make on appeal is that age standardisation does not iron out the "handicap" of an August birth - according to the peer tested research evidence.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Obiterdicta

If you were only one mark short, you really don't need much in the way of extenuating circumstances, and I wouldn't overdo this argument (valid as it is). You are quoting an awful lot of research, and it worries me that the important part of your case could become overshadowed.

What will really count is the evidence of high ability.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now