Westminster School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Westminster School

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Does anyone have any info on this school - even second-hand info. I'm keen to know what the pupils are like - manners, attitude etc - and the pastoral care. I'd also be interested to know how much homework they get set. Being in London is it quite a robust school?
Any info dearly needed! :)
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Tipsy

I presume you have seen all of the Sutton Trust Reports in terms of University entrance from various schools:-

http://www.suttontrust.com/reports/Univ ... ssions.pdf

In terms of Oxbridge and Russell League University Entrance, Westminster have always been No. 1 for a number of years - incidently significantly better than Eton and Winchester. The 5 year hit rate for Oxbridge Entrance used to be about 50%, only St Pauls Girls came close.

Regards
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks Ken, I appreciate you offering this info. I really want to get a feel for what the boys and parents are like. I have been very lucky to receive a lot of detailed info on Eton from a few posters but no one seems to even know anyone who sends their DS or DD to Westminster! :?
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

Read Dr Rae's recently published memoirs on his time as headmaster at Westminster. A little dated now - 1970s - but my impression based on this book:
- awful parents
- cannabis rife seeminly tolerated
- theiving students not tolerated
- a head who seems to spend alot of time "lunching"
- a deeply unfair Oxbridge admissions process (I'll give you our bright student if you also take these two marginal student);
- girls brought in to raise the grades in 6th form

Has anyone else read the book?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I've read it and that describes every public school in the 70's - I need to know Westy now! :)
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

I can't tell you much about the parents or boys, but I can say that many of the staff there are absolutely top notch & could easily teach at a University. The Head of German, for example, is the leading Schubert scholar Richard Stokes, who writes the programme notes for the Wigmore Hall. Richard was the tutor hired by Tony Blair to make sure that Blair junior got in to a good university.
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

Of course Euan didn't get into Oxford... though Nicky did. 50%?
hopeforthebest

Post by hopeforthebest »

oo
Last edited by hopeforthebest on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

H4TB,

I sent you a pm days ago but it won't leave my outbox. :? DS has been offered a place at Westminster and we are very confused. I really like the teachers but didn't get to see many boys and have no idea what the parents are like. The most improtant thing to me is pupils who have confidence and high self esteem but who are also well mannered and nice. Obviously there are horror children in every school :lol: but if on the whole Westminster is a nice school then that would be great. I get the impression it is not a hot house because everyone is so bright.

Thanks for the info on the teachers Huntlie. :)
another mother

Post by another mother »

tipsy have sent you a pm - I hope..!