The John Lyon School - Online Entrance Exam

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
honeys

Post by honeys »

Hi all,

I'm new to this site and considering this school for my son. On looking at the school's website the online entrance test examines cognitive ability/potential and a number of skills. Can you actually prepare for such a test and if yes what sort of preparation is needed? Many thanks.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

My son sat a computerised test for Rugby School, which he did well in.

Although we had done a small amount of prep for the 11+ exams that he also took, it wasn't particularly helpful for this particular test (according to my son).

I'm sure that the preparation we did though would have, at the very least, taught him to problem solve and exercise his grey matter quite nicely!
honeys

Post by honeys »

Many thanks Ed's mum. I suppose we will just carry on preparing for the other 11+ exams.
lion63

Post by lion63 »

It's Verbal, non-verbal reasoning and Maths.
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Hi,

my son sat this exam this year in January. They basically have up to an hour and a half to complete the exam. It isn't something you can prepare for directly however the 11+ prep that you do will help. As I understand it the questions are asked and then the time it takes for the question to be answered is monitored (so some kids will finish earlier than others) also if a particular question is answered incoreectly then a similar question is asked in a different way ( I think this is how they gage the level of understanding in the candidate) the other thing to remember is that if a question is skipped you will not be able to go back to it.

As I said we just did the regular 11+ prep but I did warn my son that we didn't know what type of questions there would be or how they are worded so it was important for him to read the question carefully and to try and answer all of them.

They also have to do a creative piece of writing in 20 mins, but I was told that this would be only be taken into consideration should there be a tie break situation. I don't think the exam is anything to worry about as my son didn't find it too taxing and came out of the exam happy that he felt he had done his best.

I hope that helps.

Regards
honeys

Post by honeys »

Thank you very much lion63 and coolmum123. Very helpful information and advice. Thanks again.
lion63

Post by lion63 »

Honeys,

I do apologise for my brief post yesterday regarding John Lyon online test - too little time on a hurried evening!

Anyhow, coolmum123 is right about the fact that the test is geared and adapted to the candidate being tested.

The entry point into the assessment is tailored to each candidate according to his age.
The difficulty of subsequent assessment questions presented to the candidate is dependent upon their responses as they proceed through the assessment.
Therefore each child receives an individualised assessment according to their developmental level.

This test also generates age-equivalent scores so it is possible to compare each candidate with a typical child of the same age and give the school a standardised scoring system for ranking candidates.

The usual topics are:

Word Recognition
Word Decoding
Reading Comprehension
Spelling
Picture vocabulary
Non-Verbal ability
Mental Arithmetic
General Mathematics

The Non-Verbal ability and the picture vocabulary assessments provide a curriculum independent measure of the developed abilities of each candidate.

So any general practice with paper 11+ tests in Verbal, Non-Verbal and Mathematics is suitable practice for these tests.

It is done at a computer and quite enjoyable for children of today who have good PC skills (computer games particularly helpful here); the test has clearly presented instructions with visually interesting formats for computer-savvy boys.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now